Athens to become a safe, sustainable capital
Changes will contribute to making Athens an even more attractive tourist destination
Five key areas in Athens are set to undergo major transformation works under a PPP-funded five-point plan aiming to make the Greek capital sustainable and safe, a leading tourist destination, and to create new jobs.
The plans were discussed on Thursday, at a meeting initiated by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, including Athens Mayor Giorgos Kaminis and Attica Prefect Rena Dourou, among others.
“My aim is to exchange thoughts on a shared vision,” said Tsipras, adding that the city must obtain a metropolitan character which will contribute to the improved quality of life for its residents and visitors.
The five priority projects, to be funded by private and public entities as well as with EU support, are the Goudi Metropolitan Park linking the municipalities of Athens, Papagou and Zografou; revamping Athens historic center from Syntagma Square to Keramikos to include the use of abandoned buildings as well as highlighting archaeological sites and bringing back residents to the city center; redeveloping the Kountouriotika neighborhood after demolishing the Panathinaikos Stadium and building a park in its place aiming to unify the areas of Lycabettus and Ambelokipi; the upgrade of the Votanikos – Eleonas area with the creation of athletic, recreational and cultural centers; and the construction of a new Panathinaikos Stadium near the Katehaki metro station to be connected via metro from Galatsi.
The prime minister added that changes will contribute to making Athens an even more attractive tourist destination.
“The prime minister’s initiative to invite me to discuss the major issues affecting Athens and its citizens is an important and very positive step. It is significant that there is a desire to support the work we are doing for the restoration of Athens, which requires the cooperation of local and national governments,” said Kaminis.
- Register Now
- One-on-one with Anastasia Katselas and Faye Kontos
- Melbourne cafe inspired by 1950s Greek delicatessens
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Commemorating the 196th anniversary of the Greek Revolution
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- Laskarina Bouboulina, the Lady of the Revolution
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Parthenon Marbles resurgence
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
SETE's chief Andreas Andreadis says Greece needs a new vision for the future to overcome the economic crisis, and that vision is tourism.
The 53-year-old singer found dead in his home on Christmas Day passed away from a heart condition.
The matter relates to a controversial decision regarding a settlement with former board member Aldrin De Zilva.
The virus was the first case reported in Europe.
Paulo Bento becomes the third coach to depart from the Reds' club this season.
The Spanish maestro was on target four times during February, and helped create a number of chances for his teammates.
Try this unique White Bean and Herb Olive Oil Cheesecake recipe by Melanie Underwood from the Institute for Culinary Education in New York City. You won't regret it.
The Greek Festival presents a joint lecture by Hellenic Studies Foundation's Costa Vertzayias and culture writer Billy Cotsis.
On 25 March 2017, women around the world living with a debilitating yet worryingly common disease, gather to raise awareness. Neos Kosmos shares a personal story.
Only 17, and still at school but could he be the next great winger to come of Dutch football's assembly line?
John Vithoulkas explores what defines a modern Greek: Name? Blood? Or heart?
Hellenic lawmakers decided to allow the descendants of Holocaust survivors, many of whom live in Israel, to apply for Greek citizenship.
Dr Stefanos Dimitrakopoulos' invaluable contribution to Melbourne research will help advance our understanding of brain changes in schizophrenia.
The 27-year-old came first in the women's pole vault event in Serbia.
Let's clear up the 'patriot' myth, once and for all.
The retail giant has been accused of trying to impose an agreement that further slashes workers rights and intensifies exploitation and oppression.
Eleni Kollias-Panagakis and mum Angie head Chicago-based Limani Designs, creating bespoke events that are all about the detail.
The Greek Australian tennis star is back after upstaging second seed Novak Djokovic.