Oakleigh priest elected new Australian assistant bishop
The Ecumenical Patriarchate has unanimously elected Archimandrite Iakovos Tsigounis as an Assistant Bishop to Archbishop Stylianos of Australia.
His Grace Bishop-elect, Iakovos of Miletoupolis, is a graduate of the St Andrew's Theological College in Sydney.
The 44 year-old serves as a Parish Priest of the Greek Orthodox Parish and Community of St Anargyroi Oakleigh in Melbourne.
The two other Archimandrites of Australia who were added from the catalogue that Archbishop Stylianos had submitted, were 75 year-old Archimandrite Nektarios Zormbalas and 35 year-old Archimandrite Eleftherios Kambourakis.
- Register Now
- Mykonos: Something to 'Crowe' about
- Greek community pays tribute to Hazel Hawke
- Melbourne Heart signs Massimo Murdocca
- Gastronomy Days at Benaki Museum
- Greek men affected by crisis
- Greece honours Australian WWII veterans
- Christopoulos to open new Melb Cafe
- Philippoussis vs furry animals
- New rules for reverse mortgages
- Tax overhaul draft sees no declarations for single incomes
- 8 May 2013 | 13 Votes
- 8 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 3 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 15 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 22 May 2013 | 8 Votes
- 13 May 2013 | 8 Votes
More from this Section
- Pontian Greeks remember
- Kapalos to host AHEPA awards
- Pansamian SA tour
- High Tea for Ark of the World
- The man with all the flowers
- Kastellorizians to award their best
- Battle of Crete Anniversary to be commemorated at Cenotaph
- Greek Australian women talk: how to make a succesful career?
- Constantinidis to give lecture at Melbourne Museum
- $30,000 grant for Greek community of Newcastle
The Victorian Premier League returns this weekend with Round Five, and South Melbourne welcome Richmond Eagles, and their new coach, in their first home game this season
Tennis ace Mark Philippoussis is facing some furry competition for the affection of his girlfriend
Australian Federal Police to continue their support in Cyprus
Round six of Victorian Premier League this weekend brings new coach for Oakleigh Cannons
The Spanish coach also brings with him assistant Pau Marti to join Michael Valkanis
The ratings agency believes the country has stabilised and moved its rating up to B-
Taxpayers with just one source of annual income will not need to submit an income tax declaration as of next year according to the draft of the new tax code
AEK Athens said it was preparing to declare bankruptcy and seek relegation to the third division
Is Greek Easter the only time young Greek Australians make it to church? Neos Kosmos investigates what draws young parishioners.
Greek shipowners have chosen Chinese shipyards for the construction of at least 60 percent of the new vessels ordered in the last few years.
Round seven of NSW League Two preview
Coming off his first sold-out Australian tour in 2012, the popular Greek singer is branching out to his far away fans and will bring a new, more energetic show.
The new series of MasterChef Australia is already in hot water before it's even started
A Greek Australian part of the trucking company at the centre of the alleged fraud, Viking Group, was involved in the 'severe bashing'.
Labor Minister Yiannis Vroutsis announced a new government initiative, to apply from January 2014, that will offer 75,000 new jobs for young people
The businessman hopes to bring international interest to the complex
The fate of a contentious anti-racism bill will have to be determined by the leaders in the fragile coalition
"Some kids get their parents' jewellery or record collections as hand-me-downs. Mum gave me this name." Melon Fouraki