RECIPE: Drunken brownie trifle
Looking to impress your guests this festive season? Give this trifle recipe a go
500ml ready-made chilled custard (look for one with real vanilla)
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
400g shop-bought chocolate brownies
3 tbsp coffee
100ml Irish cream liqueur, plus 1 tbsp extra for soaking the brownies
140g bag Maltesers
500ml double cream
25g icing sugar
1. Put the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has completely melted into the custard. Remove from heat and cover the surface with cling film to stop the custard forming a skin, then cool.
2. Sit the brownies in a trifle bowl and mix the coffee and 1 tbsp of the Irish cream liqueur. Drizzle all over the brownies.
3. Use a rolling pin or saucepan to gently crush the bag of Maltesers in their bag, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies.
4. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard all over the top of the trifle, then cover and chill.
5. Make the final layer by combining the cream and remaining Irish cream liqueur in a bowl. Sift the icing sugar into the cream then whip until soft peaks form.
6. Cover and chill. When you're ready to serve, give the cream a quick stir and spoon on top the chocolate custard layer. Decorate with the remaining crushed Maltesers.
- Register Now
- Commemorating the 196th anniversary of the Greek Revolution
- Laskarina Bouboulina, the Lady of the Revolution
- Heritage Victoria gives green light for Evangelismos Church restoration
- €300 million investment in smoke-free product manufacturing facility in Greece
- This March we march for endometriosis
- Greece faces Belgian roadblock on road to Russia
- Revolution comprehended
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Parthenon Marbles resurgence
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
The new Hellenic Scholarship will give students living in Greece or Cyprus the opportunity to study in Australia.
For your next visit to Greece invest some time volunteering through THI organisations and programs.
Helen Marcou was inducted to the Victorian Honour Roll of Women, for her work in supporting live music venues and tackling sexual harassment and discrimination.
Mary Raphael, Stavros Messinis, Thalia Andrews, and Frixos Ioannides present their latest joint exhibition in Melbourne.
Dean Kalimniou on the Hellenic origins of the twerk.
Emmanuel Santos and Carol Gordon explore the community's history from 300 BCE to now through photography and film.
Dean Kalimniou delves into the Greek Revolution of 1821, from the origins of the word to what it has meant for the Greek people.
Food For Thought Network raises awareness and takes action towards promoting women's development.
The feature explores the creative renaissance Greece is currently experiencing, as the number of holidaymakers from the UK skyrockets.
The National Theatre of Northern Greece is on a mission to restore and maintain the Forest Theatre in Thessaloniki.
Arsenal had the biggest aggregate defeat by an English team in the Champions League.
The Greek restaurant on Renmark Avenue will be a chance to showcase the brand's history.
The famed Broadbeach developer, built Oracle and Niecon Plaza.
My Big Fat Greek Week
The Greek Festival presents a joint lecture by Hellenic Studies Foundation's Costa Vertzayias and culture writer Billy Cotsis.
Two Greek entrepreneurs are behind OLEO, designed to be taken as a nutritional supplement for its health benefits.
The Greek Australian tennis star is back after upstaging second seed Novak Djokovic.
This month Toli Koutsimanis will come up against Victorian Heavyweight champion, Mini Nachar in the fight to continue his undefeated professional record.