I can’t punish Havelange over bribes, says Blatter
FIFA president Sepp Blatter insisted that he did not have the power to punish former supremo Joao Havelange after the 96-year-old Brazilian was accused of taking bribes
FIFA president Sepp Blatter insisted that he did not have the power to punish former supremo Joao Havelange after the 96-year-old Brazilian was accused of taking bribes.
Court documents released in Switzerland revealed that Havelange, FIFA president for 24 years before Blatter stepped into the hotseat in 1998, pocketed at least 1.5m Swiss francs and FIFA executive committee member Ricardo Teixeira at least 12.74m.
The bribes, made by International Sport and Leisure (ISL), were detailed in documents made public by Switzerland's supreme court and published by the BBC on Wednesday.
FIFA's discredited Swiss-based marketing partner collapsed in 2001 with debts of around $300 million.
But Blatter went on the attack on Thursday, insisting that he was powerless to sanction his predecessor.
"I don't have the power to call him to account. The Congress named him as Honorary President. Only the Congress can decide his future," Blatter told www.fifa.com.
Blatter insisted that payments were not illegal under Swiss law at the time.
"Known what? That commission was paid? Back then, such payments could even be deducted from tax as a business expense," he said.
He admitted he had been referred to as P1 in the court documents.
"It was the Swiss Federal Court that decided to make the publication of the ISL non-prosecution order anonymous. As far as I am concerned, the whole document could have been published 'clean', to put an end to the speculation once and for all," he said.
"However, the Federal Court stated that the 'names of all non-accused third parties' should be made anonymous. I am not accused, so I have been made anonymous as P1, which quite honestly is not difficult to find out."
FIFA published the Swiss court's report on its website on Wednesday and in a statement world football's governing body emphasised that while Havelange and Teixeira were identified Blatter was not.
"The decision of the Swiss Federal Court also confirms that only two foreign officials will be named as part of the process and that ... the FIFA president is not involved in the case," the statement stressed.
The court documents did reveal that FIFA chiefs had knowledge that Havelange and Teixeira had been paid bribes by ISL.
It also disclosed that FIFA had agreed to pay 2.5million Swiss francs (£1.64m) in compensation - but only on the condition that criminal proceedings against Havelange and Teixeira were dropped.
Havelange, who remains FIFA's honorary president, stepped down after a 48-year-spell as a member of the International Olympic Committee last December just days before an ethics hearing into his links with ISL.
Havelange was accused by a BBC documentary in 2010 of kickbacks totalling $1 million from ISL for granting lucrative World Cup contracts.
In May he was discharged after two months in hospital in Rio de Janeiro where he was being treated for an ankle infection and cardiac and pulmonary problems.
He is the former father-in-law of Teixeira, who recently resigned as head of Brazilian football and as chief of Brazil's organizing committee for the 2014 World Cup following a spate of corruption allegations.
Havelange was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to Rio de Janeiro and to South America for the first time when in 2009 the IOC elected the city as the 2016 host.
At the vote in Copenhagen he famously invited IOC members to his 100th birthday party on Copacabana beach in 2016 should they award the Games to Rio.
- Register Now
- Community condemns ERT closure
- Abusive crackdown on migrants
- Modern Greek tragedy
- ERT's demise impacts SBS
- Xenophon warns of data sweep danger
- ERT suspension 'sinful', says Megrelis
- Court orders Greek broadcaster ERT back on air
- Outstanding Greek Australians honoured
- The thief strikes back
- Samaras dismisses talk of early election over ERT
- 22 May 2013 | 16 Votes
- 10 Jun 2013 | 16 Votes
- 28 May 2013 | 14 Votes
- 30 May 2013 | 12 Votes
- 11 Jun 2013 | 7 Votes
- 27 May 2013 | 7 Votes
More from this Section
- Socceroos won't tread lightly with Iraq
- Dutch coach Huub Stevens aims to unite PAOK fans
- Greece's Karagounis in talks with Melbourne Victory
- High spirits for South Melbourne
- Abandoned match crowns Panathinaikos champion
- Hellas seals a late winner against Hills
- South Melbourne to compete in Sydney Youth Cup
- Sydney FC stars delight Belmore and Earlwood
- Mariners GK Ryan signs with Club Brugge
- Heart signs dutchman Rob Wielaert
Will the decision to close ERT bring down the Samaras government in Greece?
Former Ajax and Roda JC central defender Rob Wielaert will join Melbourne Heart for the 2013-14 season
Former Editor-in-Chief of Fairfax Community Newspapers in Victoria, Mitchell Murphy takes the FFV helm
An arson attack and a break-in and theft of documents and hard drives earlier in May, is believed to be the work of a ring of civil servants
A complete redesign to the fine dining staple has brought the restaurant into the 21st century, while work begins on next door neighbour
Australia is in need of improving its energy policies if there is to be any increased investment, according to Andrew Liveris,
Two tournaments, the Sydney Youth Cup and the Junior Cup will bring school teams and state leagues together
Sydney FC's Terry Antonis will take up a position at Serie A club Parma
Screening of the Greek movie Roadblocks (Κλειστοί δρόμοι), 2000, 98', will be held by the Greek Film Society Sydney (GFSS).
The Socceroos were in form and unstopable during their World Cup qualifying match against Jordan
Shadow Minister for Children and Young Adults, Jenny Mikakos, gave a speech in Parliament on the events organised to commemorate Battles of Greece and Crete.
Eighth consecutive win for the season
The gambling addict sued Crown Casino for losses of $20 million
In the round five of the State Knockout Cup, VPL clubs have managed to avoid each other, with the exception the all-Greek clash between South Melbourne and Northcote City
West Adelaide now sit on an eleven point lead at the top of the FFSA NPL State League table
Foreign Minister says he has no intention of proposing Australia should change its position on the naming issue
Greek Australian George Kostas leaves his job as Brookfield's head of construction, to run a subsidiary of Al-Futtaim Group in Dubai
Greek Australians oppose rubbish tip in their backyard