Dora's recipe: Keftedes with trahanas
Meaty meatballs mixed in with trahanas for added texture
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour trahanas, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1-2 zucchinis washed and grated
500 grams minced beef
250 grams minced lamb
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup freshly grated Kefalotyri cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs.
1. In a small saucepan, warm milk over medium heat. Stir in trahana, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let stand until all liquid is absorbed and trahana is soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Place 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute the onions, till translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
4. Add zucchini, cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, lamb, and vegetable mixture.
7. Add softened trahana and remaining ingredients except bread crumbs. Add the bread crumbs a little at a time. Mixture should be moist but not wet. Form into small meatballs.
8. In a large heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat, heat remaining oil (more, if needed); do not let it smoke. Gently drop meatballs into hot oil. Turn occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Serve with tzatziki and a salad.
- Register Now
- Community condemns ERT closure
- Court orders Greek broadcaster ERT back on air
- Abusive crackdown on migrants
- Modern Greek tragedy
- ERT's demise impacts SBS
- Xenophon warns of data sweep danger
- ERT suspension 'sinful', says Megrelis
- Outstanding Greek Australians honoured
- The thief strikes back
- Pandazopoulos gets marching orders
- 22 May 2013 | 16 Votes
- 10 Jun 2013 | 16 Votes
- 28 May 2013 | 14 Votes
- 30 May 2013 | 12 Votes
- 11 Jun 2013 | 7 Votes
- 27 May 2013 | 7 Votes
More from this Section
Aussies continue to be careful with their credit cards and personal debt
Bested in the second round of the French Open, aussie Nick Kyrgios will be focusing his energies on the Junior event
MPs react to predictions of electoral Armageddon for Labor on September 14
Neofascist Golden Dawn is third with 13 percent, according to Pulse survey
The Championship playoff is estimated to be worth STG120 million ($189.33 million) for the winning team making it the wealthiest football match in the world
Award-winning pastry chef Anna Polyviou will be taking over as the new executive pastry chef at Sydney's Shangri-La Hotel
The Greek and Gay Network will hold their annual birthday party in honour of their parents and grandparents
The Socceroos were in form and unstopable during their World Cup qualifying match against Jordan
Greek canoeing champion Andreas Kiligkardis died last Wednesday after losing his battle against leukemia.
Over 60 students and teachers were the recipients of Excellence Awards for their contribution in the ongoing education of Greek language history and culture
Screening of the Greek movie Roadblocks (Κλειστοί δρόμοι), 2000, 98', will be held by the Greek Film Society Sydney (GFSS).
Troika gives green light to TAIPED to cut corners for speeding up privatization projects such as PPC
Minister 'ready and waiting to sign' Working Holiday visa agreement
In the round five of the State Knockout Cup, VPL clubs have managed to avoid each other, with the exception the all-Greek clash between South Melbourne and Northcote City
With the majority of VPL clubs submitting their Expression of Interest, a vote of confidence has been given to the NPLV
You do not live in Greece, but you've recently been informed you may be entitled to an inheritance in this country. What do you do? Attorney Christos Iliopoulos explains.
Megan Fox has a sexy Greek secret
Three Greek Australian taxi industry heavyweights have bought the rights to the Greek taxi booking app 'Taxiplon' and plan to launch it in the next month