Dora's recipe: Peinirli
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area)
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area). Others have also claimed it, but those who claim it as theirs are all from the lost homelands (Asia Minor, Constantinople and Ponto). So I will leave this argument to others. It does give its origins away by its Turkish name.
It is usually made in the shape of a boat with the filling in the middle, but not covered. It is not a sweet, always savoury using cheese, meat, eggs, bastrouma, ham and other meats of the kind.
I have been taken to taverns in the outskirts of Athens in the Northern suburbs where it seems most of the best places are for this delicacy.
To finish of the argument of its origins it is often called Pontian Pizza.
Ingredients for pastry
1/2 kilo of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
3/4 warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for filling
250 grams of kasseri (a mild Greek cheese can be found in Greek food outlets)
15 strips of bacon cut in strips
10 slices of salami cut in fine strips
2 tablespoons of butter for the oven dish
A little hot water
15 cubes of butter
Method for pastry
1. In the warm water add the sugar and the yeast, stir gently till sugar is melted, cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowel
3. Create a hole in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the oil, and mix by hand till it all comes together and the pastry is not sticking to your hands
4. Cut the pastry up into 15 pieces and roll out into oval shape each
5. Add some of the filling in the centre of each pastry piece, wet the edges of the pastry with a little water and turn inwards leaving the filling exposed creating a boat like pita/bougatsa/peϊnirlί
1. Butter the pan
2. Lay out the peinirli side- by-side, but not touching each other and allow some space for the rising of the pastry
3. Cover and keep in a warm area for 1 hour so they can rise
4. Brush the top with water
5. Bake in 180C in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
6. When cooked take out and place a cube of butter on top as you serve them, always serve hot
- Register Now
- Greek, Serbian, Russian and Romanian priests gather for WWI liturgy
- Greek overtaking Italian in major cities
- Teen bashed and robbed for cigarettes
- Golden Dawn in America
- Bi-partisan support for Cyprus reunification
- Wedding couture feast
- Greece needs more EU funds for immigration
- Thousands rally for Cyprus
- Galifianakis-Obama interview nominated for Emmy
- Napthine confident of second term
- Melbourne City keen to participate in Lonsdale Street Festival
- Meryl Streep to portray opera legend Maria Callas
- Seven Greek Aussies amongst BRW wealthiest
- Stalactites brawl goes viral
- Australian tourist injured in Greek shootout
- Last minute penalty sees Greece make history
- The Greek tragedy of the Pappas brothers
- Like it or not, we are in this together
- He did it! Kyrgios beats Nadal
- Greece a backdrop for new motion picture
A fire that broke out on the outskirts of Kounina in Aigialia, northern Peloponnese and is expected to spread.
A staple in the Cypriot household.
Public Order Minister Vassilis Kikilias says Greece neess more funding to deal with the increased flow of undocumented immigrants
Australia is seeking a number of quality international fixtures in the lead-up to January's Asian Cup which will be hosted on the east coast.
In most cases the doctors’ bank deposits exceed their declared income.
Twenty-two per cent of Australians would like to see a higher intake of immigrants, while most agree the intake should stay the same.
Aussie shipbuilders excluded from billion dollar tender.
The San Diego Chargers owned by the Spanos family makes the cut.
Cypriot President Nico Anastasiades plans to visit Athens
Greek captain announces retirement following loss to Costa Rica.
Professor Vrasidas Karalis will talk on Nicos Poulantzas, a Greek-French Marxist political sociologist.
No one was injured in the attack which destroyed the car of Greek consul in Berlin, Aris Radiopoulos.
The PAOK Soccer Club from Altona East invites you to their Greek Folk Night.
2,500-year-old erotic graffiti found on Astypalaia.
Some of the most experienced players have been left out of Greece's provisional squad, but NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo makes it in.
Melbourne has more spoken languages than countries in the world, with Greek topping the list
The consumer watchdog and the ATO warn Australians to watch out for scammers claiming they owe money to the tax office.
Despite passing unpopular taxi reforms and starting on the East West Link project, Victorian Premier Denis Napthine says he's in good stead to lead again.