Dora's recipe: Peinirli
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area)
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area). Others have also claimed it, but those who claim it as theirs are all from the lost homelands (Asia Minor, Constantinople and Ponto). So I will leave this argument to others. It does give its origins away by its Turkish name.
It is usually made in the shape of a boat with the filling in the middle, but not covered. It is not a sweet, always savoury using cheese, meat, eggs, bastrouma, ham and other meats of the kind.
I have been taken to taverns in the outskirts of Athens in the Northern suburbs where it seems most of the best places are for this delicacy.
To finish of the argument of its origins it is often called Pontian Pizza.
Ingredients for pastry
1/2 kilo of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
3/4 warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for filling
250 grams of kasseri (a mild Greek cheese can be found in Greek food outlets)
15 strips of bacon cut in strips
10 slices of salami cut in fine strips
2 tablespoons of butter for the oven dish
A little hot water
15 cubes of butter
Method for pastry
1. In the warm water add the sugar and the yeast, stir gently till sugar is melted, cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowel
3. Create a hole in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the oil, and mix by hand till it all comes together and the pastry is not sticking to your hands
4. Cut the pastry up into 15 pieces and roll out into oval shape each
5. Add some of the filling in the centre of each pastry piece, wet the edges of the pastry with a little water and turn inwards leaving the filling exposed creating a boat like pita/bougatsa/peϊnirlί
1. Butter the pan
2. Lay out the peinirli side- by-side, but not touching each other and allow some space for the rising of the pastry
3. Cover and keep in a warm area for 1 hour so they can rise
4. Brush the top with water
5. Bake in 180C in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
6. When cooked take out and place a cube of butter on top as you serve them, always serve hot
- Register Now
- Pearson gets her medal despite coach dissaproval
- Justice Kyrou to the Court of Appeal
- Church sympathetic to AIDS sufferers
- Nimetz in Athens without concrete ideas on name dispute
- Asleep on the job
- Child care model to change
- Cyprus saturation
- Metapolitefsi 40 years on
- As beautiful as the ancient Greek body
- Compassion key to the Penny Marathon's success
- Greek Australians and homosexuality
- Greek, Serbian, Russian and Romanian priests gather for WWI liturgy
- Greek overtaking Italian in major cities
- The Greek tragedy of the Pappas brothers
- Australian tourist injured in Greek shootout
- Like it or not, we are in this together
- Donated jewellery stolen from Red Hill Church
- Greece a backdrop for new motion picture
- Maria Mercedes to portray Callas
- 'Greeks Of The Sea' launched in Athens
A night at the Opera - Songs for Serbia will feature soprano Penny Pavlakis, tenor Rosario La Spina, mezzo soprano Milijana Nikolic and baritone Michael Lewis.
'Posters and other propaganda: winning elections in Ancient Rome' will be given by Professor Jeffery Tatum of Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
People won't be so kind to the Socceroos if they mimic their Brazil losses in the Asian Cup.
"Fatalism would be the worst betrayal of all. The acceptance, the legitimisation of what was done - those things must be repudiated."
It might have taken 22 penalty kicks, but South Springvale managed to secure its spot in the Dockerty Cup final.
Shot put champion Michalis Stamatoyiannis and sprinters Theopistos Mavridis and Grigoria Keramida have failed a doping test.
The new coastal bill will focus on introducing rules needed to clearly define the shoreline.
You can use any hard cheese for this dish, but many stick to kefalotiri.
Some 80 Greeks who also live in Libya have been informed that they can board a navy vessel on its way to evacuate embassy personnel.
Chiaro Bar will be turned into a greek 'platia', as it hosts Platia Greek Night.
In Australia some large companies are jumping on the bandwagon and giving their workers nap time to keep them working productively.
Tour guides, data scientists and lifeguards have some of the best work-life balanced jobs.
Greek Australian teen jumps 78 spots to 66th.
Greece will face Montenegro in the final of the European League.
Two homes were destroyed and 500 hectares of land burnt in the Keratea blaze
Prime Minister Tony Abbott, Victorian Premier Denis Napthine, MP Jenny Mikakos and the president of the Cyprus Community of Melbourne and Victoria speak on the Cyprus issue.
Outcry after owner of a strawberry farm where 28 migrant workers were shot last year was cleared of any wrongdoing.
German expert warns troika's time frame for changes in Greek health system cannot be implemented.