Dora's recipe: Peinirli
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area)
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area). Others have also claimed it, but those who claim it as theirs are all from the lost homelands (Asia Minor, Constantinople and Ponto). So I will leave this argument to others. It does give its origins away by its Turkish name.
It is usually made in the shape of a boat with the filling in the middle, but not covered. It is not a sweet, always savoury using cheese, meat, eggs, bastrouma, ham and other meats of the kind.
I have been taken to taverns in the outskirts of Athens in the Northern suburbs where it seems most of the best places are for this delicacy.
To finish of the argument of its origins it is often called Pontian Pizza.
Ingredients for pastry
1/2 kilo of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
3/4 warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for filling
250 grams of kasseri (a mild Greek cheese can be found in Greek food outlets)
15 strips of bacon cut in strips
10 slices of salami cut in fine strips
2 tablespoons of butter for the oven dish
A little hot water
15 cubes of butter
Method for pastry
1. In the warm water add the sugar and the yeast, stir gently till sugar is melted, cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowel
3. Create a hole in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the oil, and mix by hand till it all comes together and the pastry is not sticking to your hands
4. Cut the pastry up into 15 pieces and roll out into oval shape each
5. Add some of the filling in the centre of each pastry piece, wet the edges of the pastry with a little water and turn inwards leaving the filling exposed creating a boat like pita/bougatsa/peϊnirlί
1. Butter the pan
2. Lay out the peinirli side- by-side, but not touching each other and allow some space for the rising of the pastry
3. Cover and keep in a warm area for 1 hour so they can rise
4. Brush the top with water
5. Bake in 180C in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
6. When cooked take out and place a cube of butter on top as you serve them, always serve hot
- Register Now
- AWM apologises for "Macedonia" misnaming
- Revamp for Greek community groups
- A self-made Greek amongst Australia's richest
- Get ready for Lonsdale Greek Festival
- Sister city celebrations to peak at Fed Square
- Aegean Air adds 10 more countries to its routes
- Boutaris to address Jewish community
- Saga over Vasiliades mansion continues
- 'Invisible' children press for citizenship
- Athens Airport asks travelers to vote on Marbles' return
Greece's laws on citizenship under fire.
Frankston's newest Greek Orthodox church will have it's first service on Sunday, with Archbishop Stylianos, Bishop Ezekiel and Bishop Iakovos to attend
Opening night will feature the movie Little England (Μικρά Αγγλία).
Visitors can go through drawers to read, and actually feel, the things that pique their interest: copies of letters, classified documents and writings against the junta.
Alexandros Alexiou disputes recent suggestions made regarding his family and funds raised.
Greece says it's economy will expand 0.6 per cent this year.
With one race to go for the season, Daniel Ricciardo has mathematically taken third place in the world championship driver standings.
The interactive poll will track how tourists and domestic travellers feel about the return of the Parthenon marbles.
Samos conference discusses ways the Aegean archipelago can solve its trash problem.
Gerry Dorizas is the fifth CEO to quit Holden in four years.
World-renowned teenage artist David Marinos shares his ambitious dreams on creating art that doesn't conform.
Greece considering allowing investors to obtain full Greek citizenship after seven years.
Eighteen leading Greek Australian researchers recognised for their work in medical and scientific fields with grants.
The dates have been set and the Lonsdale Street Greek Festival will be held on February 14-15
A-League side Perth Glory have taken a decisive 1-0 win in Gosford against Central Coast Mariners, pushing them to the top of the ladder.
Aegean will now fly to Paphos in Cyprus, Riyadh in Saudi Arabia and Naples in Italy and increase flights to Naxos, Milos and Paros
UPDATE: The Minister of Macedonia and Thrace, Giorgos Orfanos has cancelled his trip to Melbourne but Thessaloniki's Mayor Yiannis Boutaris still on his way
Seventeen years ago this week Mersina Halvagis was killed tending to her grandmother's grave.