Dora's recipe: Peinirli
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area)
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area). Others have also claimed it, but those who claim it as theirs are all from the lost homelands (Asia Minor, Constantinople and Ponto). So I will leave this argument to others. It does give its origins away by its Turkish name.
It is usually made in the shape of a boat with the filling in the middle, but not covered. It is not a sweet, always savoury using cheese, meat, eggs, bastrouma, ham and other meats of the kind.
I have been taken to taverns in the outskirts of Athens in the Northern suburbs where it seems most of the best places are for this delicacy.
To finish of the argument of its origins it is often called Pontian Pizza.
Ingredients for pastry
1/2 kilo of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
3/4 warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for filling
250 grams of kasseri (a mild Greek cheese can be found in Greek food outlets)
15 strips of bacon cut in strips
10 slices of salami cut in fine strips
2 tablespoons of butter for the oven dish
A little hot water
15 cubes of butter
Method for pastry
1. In the warm water add the sugar and the yeast, stir gently till sugar is melted, cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowel
3. Create a hole in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the oil, and mix by hand till it all comes together and the pastry is not sticking to your hands
4. Cut the pastry up into 15 pieces and roll out into oval shape each
5. Add some of the filling in the centre of each pastry piece, wet the edges of the pastry with a little water and turn inwards leaving the filling exposed creating a boat like pita/bougatsa/peϊnirlί
1. Butter the pan
2. Lay out the peinirli side- by-side, but not touching each other and allow some space for the rising of the pastry
3. Cover and keep in a warm area for 1 hour so they can rise
4. Brush the top with water
5. Bake in 180C in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
6. When cooked take out and place a cube of butter on top as you serve them, always serve hot
- Register Now
- Three Greek hotels among Europe's Top 25
- When Greece said 'No!'
- In her own image
- A difficult decision: undergoing a double mastectomy
- Pistorius sentence 'appropriate'
- Flood compensation payments to begin
- Should diaspora Greeks be allowed to vote in Greece?
- Amphipolis tomb may lie deeper, says Greek official
- Fava with vegetables
- Greek-Italian Australian represents Australia in Cyprus
- Goody's in Australia
- Stress over brothel phone calls drove Greek Australian to kill wife
- Headaches for Greek Australians with real estate property in Greece
- Gribilas family set up charity to honour daughter
- Cold case still on fire
- Xylouris' family affair
- Wake-up call for early birds
- Philhellene David Hill assembles his monuments men
- Greek icon closes
- Aussie shooting victim in Greece assessing options for compensation
Bread and feta go hand in hand, why not mix them in the one?
First featured in Neos Kosmos two weeks ago, Sydney designer Christopher Ditsas was pipped at the post in the commercial television competition
Use fresh cream or ice cream when serving to add more taste.
These little fish are still a staple today on the modern Greek table.
Immigration back-flip allows applications for aged parents and dependent relatives.
Bentleigh Greens have beaten Adelaide City 2-1 to become the only grassroots team in the FFA Cup semi finals.
Hosted by Greek Youth, the dance will raise funds for multiple sclerosis and the charity Brainstorm.
Greek author Alexandra Symeonidou's autobiography Nightmares in the Saudi Arabian Desert is now available in paperback online.
Les 'Mr Football' Murray has signed off on his last live broadcast after 34 years at SBS.
RMIT student Isabella Radwan has dance the Zorba for close to an hour to win an iPad mini, and a spot in the Lonsdale Street Greek Festival's Zorba till you drop competition
Drawing on the rich tradition of Orthodox Christian imagery, a collection of over 80 icons - by Greek and Russian masters - will be exhibited at the Art Gallery of Ballarat.
If the Government is not able to hit the December 8 target for the bailout exit, then they will shift for a December 18 date.
It is wrong for anyone who cares about the common good and the interests of the nation to snub politics says Alexis Papachelas.
South Sydney chairman Nicholas Pappas reflects on the Rabbitoh's drought- breaking premiership.
One of the first and most active Greek communities in Australia celebrates its anniversary.
Two full-fee scholarships at the University of Cyprus and the Open University of Cyprus were announced, to help Cypriots from around the world stay connected to the country.
The Reds will come up against Asteras Tripolis ahead of their Champions League rematch.
Round four might be overshadowed by Villa's departure, but there's a lot of top ladder politics to look at