Dora's recipe: Peinirli
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area)
This pita is made in individual servings and said to come form Ponto (the Balck Sea area). Others have also claimed it, but those who claim it as theirs are all from the lost homelands (Asia Minor, Constantinople and Ponto). So I will leave this argument to others. It does give its origins away by its Turkish name.
It is usually made in the shape of a boat with the filling in the middle, but not covered. It is not a sweet, always savoury using cheese, meat, eggs, bastrouma, ham and other meats of the kind.
I have been taken to taverns in the outskirts of Athens in the Northern suburbs where it seems most of the best places are for this delicacy.
To finish of the argument of its origins it is often called Pontian Pizza.
Ingredients for pastry
1/2 kilo of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
3/4 warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
Ingredients for filling
250 grams of kasseri (a mild Greek cheese can be found in Greek food outlets)
15 strips of bacon cut in strips
10 slices of salami cut in fine strips
2 tablespoons of butter for the oven dish
A little hot water
15 cubes of butter
Method for pastry
1. In the warm water add the sugar and the yeast, stir gently till sugar is melted, cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowel
3. Create a hole in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the oil, and mix by hand till it all comes together and the pastry is not sticking to your hands
4. Cut the pastry up into 15 pieces and roll out into oval shape each
5. Add some of the filling in the centre of each pastry piece, wet the edges of the pastry with a little water and turn inwards leaving the filling exposed creating a boat like pita/bougatsa/peϊnirlί
1. Butter the pan
2. Lay out the peinirli side- by-side, but not touching each other and allow some space for the rising of the pastry
3. Cover and keep in a warm area for 1 hour so they can rise
4. Brush the top with water
5. Bake in 180C in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
6. When cooked take out and place a cube of butter on top as you serve them, always serve hot
- Register Now
- Let's shoot Olympia to stardom
- SYRIZA ahead with 149 seats- 2 short to rule outright
- Bishop soothes Turkish concerns
- Greece's new cabinet
- Greek singer Demis Roussos, dies age 68
- Visual Chemistry
- Ομιλείτε Ελληνικά! Language fest on track
- Solariums a thing of the past
- A Christmas gift for the destitute children of Greece
- Harmony Day registrations open
- Rest in peace Kostas
- More layoffs than new jobs last month
- PPC considers electricity rate cuts
- Mirabella calls for more women in parliament
- Greek archives now listed online
- No extension will entail a ‘dirty’ exit from the bailout
- Greek Fava with Grilled Squid
- Odum completes PAOK's amazing comeback against AEK
- Samaras casts conservatives as guarantors of country’s European course
- Grexit the only way out of ‘valley of tears,’ says Hans-Werner Sinn
Greek celebrity dietitian and nutritionist Vasiliki Vayiota talks about the benefits of diet.
Fitch said that the outflow of deposits since mid-December has reached 2 percent of the whole of the credit system’s balance, or over 3.2 billion euros.
The senior ALP official escapes charges over theft and illegal distribution.
Acclaimed drummer Jim White shares his experience working with George Xylouris on a project that gives new perspective to the music of Crete.
For a more lenient sentence in his bribery trial.
IOBE stressed however that had the Olympic installations been better utilized after the Games, the benefit would have been even greater.
Archbishop Stylianos made a historic visit to the GOCMV's new headquarters, showing promise for the two organisations.
December was the fourth consecutive month when layoffs outnumbered hirings, to the tune of 834.
The Festival is funded by The Greek Orthodox Community of NSW (GOC).
FinMin warns of cash crunch in March, as ‘the money isn’t there’
The central defender has been set free by Al Sailiya of Qatar.
Theodorakis’s message was clearly aimed at SYRIZA.
"It was morally and politically impossible to turn down such an offer, even though I dread it."
Yiannis Diotis, will not face the additional charge of tampering with an official document.
Are the Greek Australian PASOK representatives for or against GAP's new party? Neos Kosmos talks to PASOK Australia representative Angelo Haritou.
Meanwhile Tuesday, Communist Party secretary general Dimitris Koutsoumbas blew off the latest SYRIZA invite for cooperation.
500,000 Greeks living abroad corresponds to around 7-8 per cent of the valid ballot in the most recent elections.
Museum of Cycladic Art weighing up its response.