Dora's recipe: Trahanas soup
A warming winter soup made out of trahanas
1 cup trahanas ( sweet or sour)
4 cups water (or very good vegetable stock)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in pot then sauté garlic until softened.
2. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down.
3. Add wine and cook off alcohol (one min).
4. Add water/stock and bring mixture to the boil.
5. Add trahanas and cook till tender.
6. When cooked, remove from heat and stir in parsley.
7. Ladle into serving bowls and top with crumbled feta.
Note: if you want a runnier soup consistency, add 1-2 cups water/stock. You could use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.
- Register Now
- Greek community pays tribute to Hazel Hawke
- Melbourne Heart signs Massimo Murdocca
- Gastronomy Days at Benaki Museum
- Greece honours Australian WWII veterans
- Greek men affected by crisis
- Christopoulos to open new Melb Cafe
- Philippoussis vs furry animals
- New rules for reverse mortgages
- Tax overhaul draft sees no declarations for single incomes
- Kapalos to host AHEPA awards
- 8 May 2013 | 13 Votes
- 3 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 15 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 8 May 2013 | 9 Votes
- 22 May 2013 | 8 Votes
- 13 May 2013 | 8 Votes
Greeks know good coffee. This year's World Barista and Brewer Championships sees a tailored and very talented Greek team vie for the top gong.
Closed in 1996, the High School nurtured many young Greeks
Greek shipowners have chosen Chinese shipyards for the construction of at least 60 percent of the new vessels ordered in the last few years.
Senator claims Labor's asylum seeker policy is the reason for the government turning a blind eye to the Malaysian election result
Learning a second and third language was at the top of the agenda in Education Week in Victoria
The World Conference of Expatriate Physicians and Bioscientists of Greece and Cyprus held in Paphos, Cyprus
Nicholas Saramaskos made his name working for a chrysanthemum cultivator and grows some of the best in Australia
Labor Minister Yiannis Vroutsis announced a new government initiative, to apply from January 2014, that will offer 75,000 new jobs for young people
Celebrating Greece in the World Barista Championship, here's a coffee recipe everyone should try at home
Kathy Tsaples famous recipe for a spinach pita
Inexperience is the new Socceroos' biggest enemy
Achilleas Youth of AHEPA invites everyone, not only women, to join their High Tea event.
Mitchell Duke and Trent Sainsbury of the Mariners are among 12 Australian-based players selected for a Socceroos training camp
Tennis ace Mark Philippoussis is facing some furry competition for the affection of his girlfriend
MP Maria Vamvakinou has vowed to stop Golden Dawn opening Australian offices after what she saw in Greece
Matt Simon, Nick Carle and Mitch Nichols back in the A-League
Whatever the outcome, the AFL has only one chance to get it right with no room for sentiment.
Moving through protests, strikes and tons of graffiti, she finds the embattled capital still shows glimmers of hope.