George Calombaris has pleaded guilty to assaulting a teenager at the A-League grand final in Sydney earlier this year.
The Masterchef judge and celebrity chef is facing charges brought against him for the assault of a 19-year-old man on May 7 during the grand final between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium.
Attended by 41,546 fans, a witness filmed the clash on a mobile phone in which a group of Sydney supporters are heard labelling the Melbourne Victory supporter a “dodgy bastard”, urging him to “pay your staff”. The footage then shows the chef pointing his finger at the 19-year-old, before shoving him in the chest.
The following day Calombaris issued a public apology in which he said he was not proud of his reaction to the situation.
“I was offended by a spectator yelling out abusive and derogatory comments about my family,” he said.
“I have spoken to Melbourne Victory FC and Football Federation Australia today to report the situation and I’m truly sorry that this has happened.”
While Calombaris was not present at Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, the 38-year-old’s barrister Brendan Green entered a guilty plea on behalf of his client.
The case has been adjourned until next month, with sentencing expected to take place on September 8.