Advertisement

Community

News

Greek community leaders call for easing of Melbourne lockdown measures

The call for Melbourne’s lockdown to be eased is becoming louder as the number of COVID-19 cases has fallen. Leaders within the city’s Greek community are adding their voices to …

News

Victorian grants aimed at helping multicultural groups to celebrate their events online

The emphasis of state government funding for multifaith and cultural celebrations has changed this year to holding events in COVID-safe way, online. Victoria’s Minister for Multicultural Affairs Ros Spence said …

News

Family history website helps Greeks build their family history

A website developed by a Greek historian based in Britain is offering Greek seekers the help they may need to trace their family history from a range of sources. Historian …

News

Greek PM Mitsotakis is the first guest for new Hellenic Initiative online series

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis of Greece is to be the special first guest for The Hellenic Initiative’s (THI) Digital Conversation Series on Tuesday, 20 October. Joining the Greek Prime Minister …

News

Greek-Australians celebrate fall of fascism as sun sets on Golden Dawn

After a marathon five-year long trial of 68 defendants, 18 of whom were former members of parliament, a Greek court found this week that the far-right Golden Dawn had acted …

News

Pronia launches free new phone and web services for the community

Pronia has launched two new free services that are open to members of the community;  weekly telephone peer-support groups and monthly family-violence webinars. Pronia’s Community Engagement and Capacity Building Officer, …

News

Expatriate nurse Eleni Zahou wins two more international awards

Due to coronavirus Greek Australian nurse Eleni Zahou, will not be able to go to Los Angeles to receive two new awards. For the same reason, the event will not …

News

Greek-Australians make statement against Golden Dawn ahead of 7 October courtcase

Dozens of Greek-Australians from all walks of life from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Wollongong have signed a statement condemning Greece’s ultra-nationalist Golden Dawn (Hrysi Avgi) party ahead of a …

Life

Top ten festivals of October – harvests and history

1. The Battle of Lepanto anniversary celebrations, Nafpaktos On 7 October, Nafpaktos (Lepanto) commemorates the famous eight-day naval battle fought in 1571 with a regatta followed by exhibitions, lectures and …

Ismene Thiveos set to run for councillor in Moreland

I’m Ismene Thiveos and I’ve put up my hand to run in the Moreland Council elections. With three generations of my family living in Moreland, I have a strong understanding …

Advertisement