Advertisement

Community

Life

Going to school not knowing a word of English

“I will never forget the shock and horror I felt as I realised that the rest of my classmates did not speak Greek.” Those are the words 40-year-old Greek-Australian Elena …

Life

Greek migrants’ reunion to wake up “fresh off the boat” memories

Almost 70 years ago, in 1952, a bilateral agreement signed between Greece and Australia changed the future of many families and helped shape multicultural Australia as we know it today. …

News

Enjoy photos from Coburg Festival, a great success

A large number of people gathered at Coburg for the annual festival held at the Church of the Presentation of Our Lord. The feast, based on the holiday the church …

News

Bushfire relief donations keep flowing from Greek Australians, as Cyprus pledges $80.000

A total of $80,000 has been pledged by the Cypriot government to help bushfire victims in Australia. Current president of the Cypriot parliament Demetris Syllouris will personally deliver the donation …

News

Celebrating Victoria’s vibrant multiculturalism in 2020

Victoria’s state government is helping more multicultural and multifaith communities showcase their cultural heritage and traditions through festivals and events. Victoria’s Minister for Multicultural Affairs Richard Wynne today opened round …

News

The Australia Day that ‘The Age’ came to see the Greeks party at Sorrento

Memories are a curious thing. You don’t know what you remember until your memory is jolted. Like by the old faded colour photograph Neos Kosmos printed last week of Greeks …

Life

Celebrating Australia Day the Greek way!

For many Melbourne-raised Greeks, memories of celebrating Australia Day evoke the scents of… sunshine and outdoors. It was almost a given that the public holiday falling in summer would be …

News

Meet the Melbourne Greek pledging $1m for the Archdiocese’s new drug rehab centre

One of the Archdiocese’s priorities for 2020, the establishment of centres to combat drug dependency, is a step closer to becoming reality thanks to one Greek Australian’s generous contribution. Businessman …

News

A Greek parliamentarian becomes the face of Australian Sickle Cell Advocacy

A health advocacy group on a rare yet increasingly prevalent disease has just welcomed its newest ally, Maria Vamvakinou MP. The Greek parliamentarian is joining the Australian Sickle Cell Advocacy …

News

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese’s Youth Conference in Melbourne proves change has arrived

“Be shining lights,” His Eminence, Archbishop of Australia Makarios, encouraged the attendees of the recent Archdiocesan Youth Conference, in English. “It is very hard to change the world. But that …

Advertisement