67-year-old Greek grandmother gives birth to grandchild
A Greek woman has become the world’s ‘oldest’ surrogate mum, giving birth to her daughter's child following the approval of a court in Larissa
After 43-year-old Constantina Ontou had to remove her uterus following a cancer diagnosis, she never thought she would experience the joy of having her own child.
But Christmas came early for Constantina this year, welcoming her baby girl into the world on Tuesday 20 December thanks to the generosity of her mother and a successful court ruling.
Sixty-seven-year-old Anastassia Ontou from Larissa offered to carry her daughter's baby, and has since become the world's oldest surrogate.
“This is a heroic grandmother,” supervising obstetrician and director of GENESIS Athens, Constantinos Pantos told ERT.
Ms Ontou carried the baby for seven-and-a-half months with few complications, and was born via caesarian, weighing 1.2 kilograms.
“I feel more like a grandmother than a mother,” Ms Ontou said, adding that she never hesitated to help her daughter in her time of need.
“It was an easy decision for me - my daughter was heartbroken after not being able to carry the baby herself.”
Following seven failed pregnancy attempts and the removal of her uterus, doctors managed to successfully collect Constantina's eggs, fertilise them with her husband's sperm and freeze them as embryos.
Despite wishing for a child however, Constantina admits to thinking her mother was “crazy” to make such an offer, but is over the moon with the birth of her daughter.
“I told her she’s crazy... we haven’t cried like this in years,” she said.
While the Guinness Book of Records lists 66-year-old Maria del Carmen Bousada Lara from Spain as the oldest mother, according to Dr Pantos the record has once again been broken.
"Based on international records, this is the oldest surrogate mother who is also a grandmother, based on her daughter’s medical condition," he said.
While Dr Pantos admits to initially having had reservations about the pregnancy, he says he decided to go ahead with it following its approval by a court in Larissa.
With the surrogate and baby said to be in good health following the pregnancy, this is a world breakthrough for the team of GENESIS Athens.
“For us, this case was another great scientific challenge and one more boundary to surpass. Unique success stories, like the one presented today, are the reasons why Greece has become the starting point of the dream for many reproductively challenged couples from around the globe," Dr Pantos said.
- Register Now
- The Hellenic Club brings the Greek Presidential Guard to Sydney
- WikiLeaks – in the face of betrayals they remain heroic, guarding a Thermopylae
- Hellenic community marches with the Anzacs who fought in Greece and Crete
- Nick Polites recalls his journey
- Darebin Homemade Food & Wine Festival returns
- Tasmania: the treasure island
- Eat like the Greeks
- Cruise ship with 200 Chinese passengers marks a first for Greek tourism
- The Greek National Guard touched by their Australian welcome
- The death of the 457 visa (FAQ)
- Greek Orthodox Bishop calls on Erdogan to denounce Islam and be baptised
- A Greek fish & chippery tops Herald Sun's crème de la crème
- Athens' little treasure adorning the heart of Plaka
- The world's most impressive building will be Greek
- Travelling to Greece? New Corinth-Patra highway finally open
- The nine Evzones in Australia next week
- The 19 best Greek islands according to international travel experts
- ISIS gunmen open fire at the St. Catherine monastery in Egypt
- 18 Greek establishments amongst the best restaurants in Australia
- Dimitrious Gargasoulas says he is 'the saviour'
Neos Kosmos visits the family business' newest establishment in the heart of Oakleigh, bringing six decades of seafood legacy and modern culture to your table.
My Big Fat Greek Week.
Dean Kalimniou reflects on the work of Lucian of Samosata; the man that taught us to reach for the stars.
The Greek Community visits the Hellenic American Educational Foundation, as part of the 'Melbourne-Athens: a journey of friendship' program.
Only monks and clergy were inside the compound of the monastery, one of Christianity’s holiest sites
My Big Fat Greek Week.
Just four years after moving Down Under, Greek South African Reeva Cutting has proven that when passion is coupled with hard work the sky is the limit.
For those who feel left out...
A new report shows greater than anticipated growth in 2017-18.
The proposal comes with the added suggestion that Russian President Vladimir Putin be his godfather.
The establishment is turning out to be the cosmopolitan venue anticipated, becoming a pin on the map that is attracting thousands.
A new compilation showcases the unique contribution made to languages and cultures across the world by the Greek language.
How running naked through a wheatfield inspired the makeup mogul's latest collaboration.
While in Greece, historian Jim Claven reflects on the Anzacs who showed bravery as volunteers from Australia and New Zealand in 1941.
Representatives of four Greek islands have expressed concerns the wind parks will impact tourism.
25-year-old Evzonas Konstantinos Lousias speaks to Neos Kosmos.
Australian Biology of Ageing Conference in Sydney finds Greece's version of Mediterranean diet is the secret to longevity.
Dean Kalimniou reflects on the Orthodoxy's holiest day.