Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
The 26-year-old has been jailed for a series of assaults, including throwing a Thermos at his mother's head for failing to make him a toasted sandwich quick enough
The brother of the accused Bourke Street killer, Angelo Gargasoulas has been jailed for two months for a series of assaults.
The 26-year-old appeared at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday, where his lawyer Alex Turner said his client would plead guilty to a number of charges, which included recklessly injuring his mother and intentionally injuring his partner in 2016.
On the day of the Bourke Street tragedy, his older brother Dimitrious Gargasoulas allegedly killed six people, injured 31 more, and also allegedly stabbed Angelo, from which Mr Turner said his client was still suffering mentally and physically, reports Fairfax Media.
But on Thursday the court's attention turned to the actions of Angelo, who the court heard on July 8 was hungover and coming down from ice when he attacked his mother.
The pair were in their Windsor apartment, where she was intoxicated and her son demanded she speed up with making his food when he suddenly threw a Thermos at her face, resulting in a bruised eye, cut lip and other injuries.
By the time police arrived, Angelo had left the apartment and his mother was attended to at a friend's home where she was found with dried blood on her face.
Then just over two weeks later on July 23, Angelo attacked his partner with a box-cutter.
Mr Turner said that his client was in the "grips of a severe ice addiction" at the time the crimes occurred; an addiction that began when he met his partner, who was also a heavy ice user.
During this time, his relationship with his mother also suffered, as she drank heavily and became abusive, while he was battling his ice use.
Yet despite having since kicked his drug habit and securing stable housing, Mr Gargasoulas was sentenced to two months in jail, with his release date set for April 28, after which he will be required to carry out an 18-month community corrections order and perform 100 hours of unpaid community work.
Other charges against him, which include assaults with a hammer and a knife, breaches of family violence intervention orders and property damage, will be dealt with later this month on March 15.
- Register Now
- Call to boycott film denying Greek, Assyrian and Armenian genocide
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- New animation by Pixar veteran based on Greek myths
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- 'I wanted to make a film worthy of Greek pride' [video]
- 'We want our children to dream big'
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
- Nine Evzones are coming to Australia
The number is almost double the EU average.
The 27-year-old came first in the women's pole vault event in Serbia.
My Big Fat Greek Week.
The National Theatre of Northern Greece is on a mission to restore and maintain the Forest Theatre in Thessaloniki.
Hellenic lawmakers decided to allow the descendants of Holocaust survivors, many of whom live in Israel, to apply for Greek citizenship.
The Greek songstress will battle it out on the stage, with a performance of This Is Love.
The 53-year-old singer found dead in his home on Christmas Day passed away from a heart condition.
According to Business Insider, the former temple defines building design, continues to be a source of inspiration for architects, and is a stunning piece of architectural art.
Leonidas Petrakis on how the diaspora, and particularly Greek Americans, can do their part to assist Greece and Cyprus.
The opportunity was made possible by THI and the US Embassy in Greece.
The Greek restaurant on Renmark Avenue will be a chance to showcase the brand's history.
Director Stathis Grapsas' once again gives a powerful voice to marginalised groups in society who are often left unheard.
The Greek Australian tennis star is back after upstaging second seed Novak Djokovic.
The American Hellenic Council issued an official statement against Turkish production The Ottoman Lieutenant.
The abundance of meat-free recipes in the Mediterranean culture ensures Lent feels like a walk in the park. Try these tasty Greek recipes from foodies around the world.
Technology can play a big role in providing children with a linguistic experience in line with the modern urban world in Greek, and help supplement their vocabulary.
The world's most beautiful street is found in Molyvos on the island of Lesvos.
Vouzas: "In the end we managed to gather ourselves and got this draw”