Demy to represent Greece at Eurovision 2017 [video]
The Greek songstress will battle it out on the stage, with a performance of This Is Love
It's that time of year again, when people around the world will gather in front of their television sets to see countries from around the world battle it out in song for the title of the Eurovision Song Contest.
Greece will once again be taking part, and will be represented by popular singer Demy.
Nee Dimitra Papadea, the Athenian currently signed with Greek Independent label Panik Records will be singing a song by the name of This Is Love composed by Dimitris Kontopoulos with lyrics from Romy Papadea and John Ballard.
While it was initially thought the singer would compete against X Factor contestants Stereo Soul on the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation for the role, organisers instead opted for an internal selection process, announcing their decision earlier this year on January 13.
The 25-year-old beauty is both talented - she won the title of best new artist in 2012 and two additional awards at the Greek VMAs - and has a good head on her shoulders.
Despite her increasing popularity, Demy has said that she is committed to her law studies with her sights set on finishing her degree.
The songstress will be the 37th performer to represent Greece in the Eurovision contest since the country's debut in 1976. It was in 2005 that Greece took out the title for the first time in 2005 with My Number One performed by Helena Paparizou.
This year's competition will be hosted at the International Exhibition Centre in Kiev, Ukraine, the home country of the 2016 reigning champion Jamala, with performances commencing on May 9 and semi-finals scheduled to take place on May 11 and 13.
Australia will be represented by 17-year-old Isaiah Firebrace.
For more information, visit www.eurovision.tv/tag/expand/2017
Watch the official music video of This Is Love:
- Register Now
- Call to boycott film denying Greek, Assyrian and Armenian genocide
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- New animation by Pixar veteran based on Greek myths
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- 'I wanted to make a film worthy of Greek pride' [video]
- 'We want our children to dream big'
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
- Nine Evzones are coming to Australia
A symposium and degustation will be led by La Trobe University's Dr Catherine Itsiopoulos at Elyros restaurant as part of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival.
Commission considering more penalty cuts in the hair and beauty, tourism, clubs and restaurant industries.
The feature explores the creative renaissance Greece is currently experiencing, as the number of holidaymakers from the UK skyrockets.
Two Greek entrepreneurs are behind OLEO, designed to be taken as a nutritional supplement for its health benefits.
Gogglebox Australia's most popular duo and long-time friends talk about the craziest thing they ever did together.
My Big Fat Greek Week.
The 27-year-old came first in the women's pole vault event in Serbia.
Mr Savvides currently also serves as Chairman of World Vision Australia.
The redevelopment has been made possible by a funding contribution of $350,000 from the Victorian Government.
One of the city's oldest and most iconic cultural organisations has been targeted in an arson attack.
The 53-year-old singer found dead in his home on Christmas Day passed away from a heart condition.
The latest product to be released in Chanel's skincare range includes a special ingredient from Greece.
The Greek Festival presents a joint lecture by Hellenic Studies Foundation's Costa Vertzayias and culture writer Billy Cotsis.
Only 17, and still at school but could he be the next great winger to come of Dutch football's assembly line?
Having visited and written about Greek communities in various parts of the world, Alexander Billinis turns his attention back home, to his own Greek community.
The store will be moving to the Mornington Peninsula with easy access to the best local produce, local suppliers, and fresh air.
Greek Australian admits to bashing man to death over car park dispute.
After a career that saw him reach football great heights, Greece international Avraam Papadopoulos is back where he was born and ready to show what Australia missed out on.