Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
SETE's chief Andreas Andreadis says Greece needs a new vision for the future to overcome the economic crisis, and that vision is tourism
SETE, Greece's largest tourism business association, is setting out to make Greece one of the top ten tourist destinations in the world.
The announcement was made by the association's chief Andreas Andreadis on Friday at the Delphi Economic Forum.
"SETE has submitted a road map for the Greece of 2021 to all relevant authorities so that the number of visitors to our country can reach 35 million and revenues reach 19 to 20 billion euros," Mr Andreadis said.
When asked if he thought the number of tourists would increase if Greece were to leave the eurozone, he rejected the idea as disastrous for local inhabitants.
"If Greece returns to the drachma we will have millions of tourists, but Greeks will be [living] in a ghetto, behind a wall that will separate them from the tourist areas, in the logic of the Caribbean. It would be an absolute disaster," he said.
"Our aim is for visitors and locals to live well together."
Mr Andreadis further touched on economic matters, and said that the country is in the economic position it is in not because of bailout programs but due to a lack of vision in the form of a national plan.
"Whoever thinks the memorandums are to blame for the situation we're in is deluding his or herself. The memorandums must be implemented to put things in some kind of order," the head of SETE said, adding that Greeks need to have hope for the future to form a new vision for true growth and prosperity.
Mr Andreadis also said that tourism would help other sectors to recover, such as real estate, transport, energy, and agricultural production.
"Greece will not be saved with the third, fourth, or tenth memorandum. It will be saved with a vision," he said.
"The vision is for Greece to emerge as the best tourism destination worldwide."
- Register Now
- Melbourne cafe inspired by 1950s Greek delicatessens
- €300 million investment in smoke-free product manufacturing facility in Greece
- Mykonos Taverna named in best eight Greek eateries Down Under
- The Australian Evzone in New York
- Laskarina Bouboulina, the Lady of the Revolution
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Heritage Victoria gives green light for Evangelismos Church restoration
- This March we march for endometriosis
- Greece is not corrupt per se despite perpetual crises
- Life, death and the Greek language
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- Parthenon Marbles resurgence
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
The love for Greek-inspired gold jewellery sold among bouquets of flowers.
Recommendations to EU and national leaders to end the disappearance, suffering and exploitation of children in migration.
Newly opened No. 19 in Melbourne's north-west pays homage to the city's past, bringing a sophisticated touch to the bustling cafe scene.
If we need to save the language, we might want to reconsider our educational strategy, and our connection with it.
Greek Australian designer Dimitria Papafotiou talks about kicking goals and dreaming big.
The European Commission says exports will be the main opportunity for Greece to recover economically.
The Greek team will face its biggest test of the current World Cup Qualifying campaign at the Stade Roi Baudouin in Brussels this weekend.
On many occasions Mr Turnbull has turned to Greece to express his love of democracy, to link the west to our past, but is his idea of Australia truly democratic?
Food For Thought Network raises awareness and takes action towards promoting women's development.
Changes will contribute to making Athens an even more attractive tourist destination.
Kiriaki Gilinas won the Spirit of Hellenism award for 2017, along with two return flights to Greece.
But donors choose how − and if − they'll be contacted by their offspring.
Gerry Georgatos on why happiness and the dawn of new meanings are the ways forward.
Greece has made an offer of recurring loans of archaeological wonders in exchange for the Marbles.
This period marks a critical juncture in the history of the game Down Under, and the NPL clubs know it.
Australia will play Iraq on Thursday evening in the first of the World Cup Qualifiers.
The American Hellenic Council issued an official statement against Turkish production The Ottoman Lieutenant.
Vouzas: "In the end we managed to gather ourselves and got this draw”