Gudjohnsen to miss season
AEK Athens have received a big blow with the news that Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen will miss the entire season through injury
AEK Athens have received a big blow with the news that Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen will miss the entire season through injury.
Gudjohnsen has suffered a fractured tibia and fibula, for which he underwent surgery yesterday. The injury occurred during AEK's 1-1 draw against Olympiakos last weekend, when Gudjohnsen collided with Olympiakos goalkeeper Costanzo early in the second half.
AEK's doctor has advised the Greek club that the former Barcelona man must spend the rest of the season recuperating in order to fully recover.
Gudjohnsen only landed in the Greek capital over the summer and was AEK's star signing.
There had been some criticism of the 33-year-old from sections of the AEK support, with a feeling that he has lost some of his sharpness.
Gudjohnsen's quality however, quality which saw him turn out for the likes of PSV Eindhoven, Chelsea, Barcelona, Monaco and Tottenham Hotspurs, pointed to the fact that the Icelandic international would soon ravage Greece's Super League once he adapted to its style.
His injury is a big blow to AEK.
- Register Now
- Eurozone backs Greek reform plan and four-month extension
- Marble replicas coming soon
- Multicultural supremo under fire
- Never too early: babies and bilingualism
- Greek identity in many leading clubs in Europe
- AFL boss hopeful of Essendon saga end
- Artisan jewellery fit for the ancients
- Keeping Greece in the eurozone is worth the pain
- Cyprus signs military deal with Russia
- Workshops available for practitioners working with Greek Australians
- Five-year-old thrown out of church by priest
- Pan-Lemnian Organisations gather in Melbourne
- The 'Aussie' who may save Greece
- Vic police need your help to find missing man
- Food and healing in ancient Greece
- Never on Sunday - always on Saturday
- Tsipras has sights set on Australia
- Grandfather puts up unexpected fight
- Bobolas hoarding house up for land value sale in Bondi
- Greece assesses the damage
Caulfield South man Michael Kontoudis has been missing since December 10.
Apokries recipes to eat while fasting.
Request sees bailout terms being set aside.
Australian Formula One driver, Daniel Ricciardo, nabs top spot in 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' challenge.
Our readers flocked to voice their disgust after a priest kicked out a five-year-old girl from church after she didn't like the taste of the Holy Communion.
It will cost almost 25 million euros to rehire some 3,900 civil servants the government believes were fired illegally.
In a matter of weeks, the Greek Centre of Contemporary Culture will be adorned with replicas of the Parthenon Marbles to reignite the re-unification issue.
The Palesviaki Ouzo Festival is on this Sunday, boasting lots of live music and free flowing ouzo.
Greek Australians have banded around singer Maria Mercedes, pushing to get the star on the list of potential Australian Eurovision acts.
Melbourne Greek schools are starkly different to what many in the community experienced 10 or 20 years ago. Now Greek schools are changing tack and embracing multiculturalism.
Greece's new finance minister Yanis Varoufakis was an economics professor at the University of Athens when he was suspend from the Greek program of SBS.
Sergio Markarian has been appointed the new Greek national team coach and says he has high hopes for the team.
Media Services Australia is offering the Hellenic and business community a free workshop on the power of video in your business.
Boxes of grapes in the Greek Holy Monastery of Panagia Kamariani's courtyard were blessed and shared amongst the lucky festivalgoers
South Melbourne assistant coach admits the team could have performed better despite getting its first win of the season.
Greece might delay payment to the International Monetary Fund if it cannot find the necessary money.
Federation makes changes to FFA Cup to benefit semi-professional and grassroots clubs.
Archie Thompson is the league's all-time scoring leader with 84 goals and has played in two championship teams