Is your Greek property on forestland?
Don't be surprised if your patriko or olive grove in your hometown village has been identified as forestry land under new regulations
The Greek Government has recently introduced NEW forest maps for 33 different areas throughout Greece including the Prefectures of Arcadia, Laconia, Messenia, Chios and Kerkira just to name a few.
The purpose of developing forestry maps is to accurately record forests and forestland throughout the country. Maps are formed by recording existing forests and forestland, areas that were once deforested and/or altered and areas that were reforested and/or forested in the meantime.
These maps are necessary for the Greek Government not only to protect its natural environment, but also to secure property rights and ownership titles in cooperation with the Hellenic Cadastre.
How do I protect my Greek property?
Check your property. Owners can verify if their Greek property has been identified as forest or non-forestland by navigating the search engine of the Hellenic Cadastre.
Don't be surprised if your patriko or olive grove in your hometown village has been identified as forestry land like my mother's has in the rural area of Arcadia. If your property has been falsely identified as forestland whereas it is not, you are lawfully entitled to submit objections for this property.
As the law stands up-to-date, applications for objections are filed 15 days after the issuing of the specific forest map of interest. The deadline is 60 days after that date for Greek citizens and 80 days for owners residing abroad.
To properly submit your objections, you will need an accurate and updated land survey, an issue we have stressed on repeatedly in past newsletters, in our Article Series first published in 2014 and our first Greek Property U.S. Workshops in 2014 in Chicago.
*Katerina Sirouni is an Architect and Greek Property Manager
- Register Now
- Melbourne cafe inspired by 1950s Greek delicatessens
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Commemorating the 196th anniversary of the Greek Revolution
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Laskarina Bouboulina, the Lady of the Revolution
- Heritage Victoria gives green light for Evangelismos Church restoration
- €300 million investment in smoke-free product manufacturing facility in Greece
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- This March we march for endometriosis
- Greece faces Belgian roadblock on road to Russia
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Parthenon Marbles resurgence
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
Let's clear up the 'patriot' myth, once and for all.
The famed Broadbeach developer, built Oracle and Niecon Plaza.
Clothing label The Kooples is presenting a free photography exhibition in Melbourne this month as part of VAMFF.
The Red's performance was disappointing, while APOEL put the pressure on too late.
The feature explores the creative renaissance Greece is currently experiencing, as the number of holidaymakers from the UK skyrockets.
Back by popular demand, the performance weaves music, song, documentary footage and narrative to recreate the zeitgeist of the Greek island of Hydra in the 1960s.
The new Hellenic Scholarship will give students living in Greece or Cyprus the opportunity to study in Australia.
Greece has made an offer of recurring loans of archaeological wonders in exchange for the Marbles.
'Australian workers, particularly young Australians, must be given priority,' says Immigration Minister.
Only 17, and still at school but could he be the next great winger to come of Dutch football's assembly line?
The store will be moving to the Mornington Peninsula with easy access to the best local produce, local suppliers, and fresh air.
St George College receives $9.55 million loan boost from SA Government to create additional science facilities and robotics suites.
The latest product to be released in Chanel's skincare range includes a special ingredient from Greece.
The investment by Philip Morris International is the biggest in Greece since the crisis started in 2010, creating 400 new jobs.
Three-time Olympian Vasiliki Millousi stars in the film Gymnast at the Melbourne Fashion Festival.
Before the launch of her debut album with her jazz trio, the brilliant young pianist describes how her Greek background helped her develop a passion for music.
Changes will contribute to making Athens an even more attractive tourist destination.
Two Greek entrepreneurs are behind OLEO, designed to be taken as a nutritional supplement for its health benefits.