Church to curb debt
The Church of Greece is drawing up a three-year financial plan in an effort to determine the size of its debt and to exploit its assets Archbishop Ieronymos said
The Church of Greece is drawing up a three-year financial plan in an effort to determine the size of its debt and to exploit its assets Archbishop Ieronymos told a session of the Holy Synod this week.
"The situation today is dire," Ieronymos told clerics, saying that the Church's debts and the general economic situation "have brought us to our knees." A three-year program would "present a picture of our debts and our reserves as well as outlining the impact of a new legislative framework on the exploitation of our assets," he said.
Emphasizing that "without assets we will never have autonomy," Ieronymos also set the scene for a discussion about a possible change in the relationship between the Greek Orthodox Church and the state.
"Will we let events overtake us?" the archbishop asked and called for the creation of a committee of clerics and independent experts to discuss a likely constitutional revision and its implications for the Church.
- Register Now
- One-on-one with Anastasia Katselas and Faye Kontos
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Melbourne cafe inspired by 1950s Greek delicatessens
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- New animation by Pixar veteran based on Greek myths
- Athens to become a safe, sustainable capital
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
- Nine Evzones are coming to Australia
Director Stathis Grapsas' once again gives a powerful voice to marginalised groups in society who are often left unheard.
The Greek civilisation has left its mark on the rest of the world.
The love for Greek-inspired gold jewellery sold among bouquets of flowers.
Newly opened No. 19 in Melbourne's north-west pays homage to the city's past, bringing a sophisticated touch to the bustling cafe scene.
Melbourne's Sweet Greek shares her plans for Easter celebrating her success.
Food For Thought Network raises awareness and takes action towards promoting women's development.
The virus was the first case reported in Europe.
My Big Fat Greek Week
According to Business Insider, the former temple defines building design, continues to be a source of inspiration for architects, and is a stunning piece of architectural art.
Before the launch of her debut album with her jazz trio, the brilliant young pianist describes how her Greek background helped her develop a passion for music.
This period marks a critical juncture in the history of the game Down Under, and the NPL clubs know it.
This month Toli Koutsimanis will come up against Victorian Heavyweight champion, Mini Nachar in the fight to continue his undefeated professional record.
The retail giant has been accused of trying to impose an agreement that further slashes workers rights and intensifies exploitation and oppression.
The famed Broadbeach developer, built Oracle and Niecon Plaza.
Technology can play a big role in providing children with a linguistic experience in line with the modern urban world in Greek, and help supplement their vocabulary.
The latest product to be released in Chanel's skincare range includes a special ingredient from Greece.
Having visited and written about Greek communities in various parts of the world, Alexander Billinis turns his attention back home, to his own Greek community.
The feature film will put a modern spin on the myths of Icarus and the Minotaur.