Victoria recorded 357 new coronavirus cases and another five deaths on Saturday.
“I’m very sad to have to report a further five Victorians have passed away, bringing the total to 61,” Victoria’s Premier Daniel Andrews said, adding that 37 of the coronavirus cases came from known clusters and 320 were from unknown sources.
Much of the focus has turned to aged care facilities as 536 active clusters have emerged in 38 homes for the elderly.
St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner has particularly suffered as five of the people who died overnight on Thursday came from the residence. The families of two of the deceased from St Basil’s have released their names. These are Maria Vasilaki, 81, and Eleni Alexiou.
Ms Vasilakis’ son, Spiro Vasilakis, told The Age that staff at St Basil’s were not wearing masks or protective gloves when he visited his mother in a separate room after the facility went into lockdown in March.
“They were trying to protect residents from the outside world, but they should also have considered that staff were going to the outside world and coming back in,” Mr Vasilakis said.
The Union also pointed to a worker of St Basil’s had complained that an elderly resident had not been isolated after he was coughing and sneezing.
So far, 47 residents and 18 staff members have tested positive at St Basil’s where the usual staff has temporarily been replaced while they self-isolate.
Another two Melbourne aged care homes linked to COVID-19 outbreaks have had notices sent to them for lack of compliance. These are Menarock Essendon Aged Care and Estia Health in Heidelberg.
Since 11.59pm Wednesday, masks have been mandatory in Melbourne and members of the defence force have also been deployed to patrol the streets of Melbourne and ensure coronavirus rules are followed.