In a bid to remember and commemorate the writer and philosopher that was Nikos Kazantzakis, the Ministry of Culture has declared 2017 as the ‘Year of Nikos Kazantzakis’.
Sixty years since his death in 1957, the International Society of Greek Writers & Artists has developed a World Literary Competition named Kazantzakia, and submissions are now open.
Those interested in taking part are required to submit an original selection of unpublished work that can range from poetry, storytelling, lyrics, photography, painting or a report, all of which are required to relate back to Kazantzakis and play a role in the promotion of his memory.
Submissions will be examined and judged by a five-member evaluation committee that will be comprised of well-known writers with relevant experience.
Winners will be announced and awarded at an official ceremony at the City of Athens Cultural Centre on March 18, just days before World Poetry Day, thanks to the support of the Municipality of Athens, O.P.A.N.D.A.
The winner and runner-up of the poetry category will also have their work published in the following issue of Literary Anthology, which will also be dedicated to Kazantzakis.
– Poems should not exceed 30 lines (two minutes required recitation time)
– Stories should not exceed six pages
– Submissions accepted in the following languages: Chinese, Spanish, French, English, German
– Work submitted should not be under review currently for another publication and should remain unpublished throughout the duration of the competition
– Each project can be sent with an alias name written on the top right of each page of your submission via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Include a separate document with full contact information (name, email address, mailing address, and phone number) and a short biography of maximum 250 words, including previously published works with the manuscript email submission
– PDF formatting will not be accepted.
The Kazantzakia 2017 deadline is January 31, 2017. For more information, visit somateiodeel.blogspot.com.au/