As the new school year rolls around for 2017, it’s an important time of year for parents and caregivers to shortlist stimulating extracurricular courses and activities for their children, and at times language can fall by the wayside.
With so many modern Greek programs across Victoria, Neos Kosmos is taking the opportunity to celebrate language learning and to showcase some of the best on offer.
The schools being covered are ready to welcome students with programs that seek to cater to all levels and abilities, covering everything regarding reading and writing, with interesting materials that give insight into the language’s rich history and culture.
Aside from being a key component to Greek identity, language learning has much to offer a child. The benefits are present from very early on in their development, assisting with cognitive development and in turn challenging them to think and learn in a different context to their peers, while also encouraging creativity.
While there has been much debate surrounding the state of Greek language learning Down Under, these institutions are working tirelessly to inspire and motivate students to pursue Greek in the earlier years of their education and to continue learning and maintaining their Greek studies well into the future.
They are set on demonstrating that Greek is not only the language of a large and growing community both in Australia and abroad, but valuable and useful for students of all backgrounds who have interests across linguistics, history, science and mathematics.
Modern Greek programs across Victoria:
· ΑΗEPA (www.ahepagreekschool.org.au/)
· Alphington Grammar (www.alphington.vic.edu.au/)
· Ariston (www.ariston.org.au/)
· Cyprus Greek Orthodox Community (www.saintandrew.com.au/)
· Greek Community School Malvern
· Greek Community School Box Hill
· Sts Anargri Greek Language Centre (www.stsanargiriglc.vic.edu.au/)
· Greek school of Mentone − Taxiarches (www.facebook.com/Greek-school-of-Mentone-Taxiarches-165645576954771/)
· Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne & Victoria (www.greekcommunity.com.au/)
· Protypo Greek Centre (http://protypo.com.au/)
· Pythagoras (www.pythagoras.vic.edu.au/)
· Lexi School of Modern Greek (www.lexischoolofmoderngreek.com.au/)
· Morphosi (www.morphosi.com.au/)
· Oakleigh Grammar (www.oakleighgrammar.vic.edu.au/)
· Omiros College (www.omiros.edu.au/)
· South Oakleigh College (www.sosc.vic.edu.au/)
· St. John’s College (www.stjohnspreston.vic.edu.au/)
· Victorian School of Languages (www.vsl.vic.edu.au/)
· Mavraganis Greek Language School
· Zenon (www.zenon-education.org.au/)