Aleria Athens, one of Greece's best
An awarded restaurant mixing the modern with the classical in every imaginable way
Nestled in a perfectly restored neoclassical two-storey mansion from the early 1900s in Metaxourgeio, Athens, Aleria's decor strikes the perfect balance between luxury and ambience featuring an elegant bar and paved courtyard.
Keeping elements of the past and infusing it with new modern styles, the space reflects the cuisine's philosophy which combines modern cooking techniques with memories of traditional home-cooked food.
Upon entering one is mesmerised by the paintings on the walls and the ceiling decorations, which give way to the unique wallpaper designs, which in turn compete with a combination of ceramic wall and floor tiles and cross-pattern parquet.
Aleria is Art Deco, post classical with a modern twist offering the finest Greek cuisine that uses the freshest and best quality ingredients Greece has to offer seasonally, just as its owner, Nikiforos Kechadiadakis had envisioned when the building was passed on to him by his parents. The young businessman managed to have Aleria listed amongst the best European restaurants but he was not alone in that achievement. He trusted his menu to Gikas Xenakis, one of the country's most talented chefs and considered one of the pioneers of Greek creative cuisine, bringing Aleria a Toque d'Or award.
The amberjack tartare marinated in bergamot dolmas filling and cream from sea urchin eggs, and the red pumpkin mousse caramelised chestnuts, cured pork and fresh black truffle are to die for. The restaurant has its own gourmet version of pastitsio made with thick pasta, braised oxtail, shiitake and foamy béchamel, but the seafood orzo risotto with grilled peppers, salami, and basil is one of our favourites.
Aleria also has one of the best wine lists in Athens, presenting carefully selected acclaimed and rare wines to accompany its delicious cuisine.
Megalou Alexandrou 57
+30 21 0522 2633
- Register Now
- One-on-one with Anastasia Katselas and Faye Kontos
- Melbourne cafe inspired by 1950s Greek delicatessens
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Commemorating the 196th anniversary of the Greek Revolution
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- New animation by Pixar veteran based on Greek myths
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Parthenon Marbles resurgence
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
In just five days Australia will take on the UAE in Sydney.
'I don't want it to be a man's world, but I don't want it to be a woman's world either'.
The Greek civilisation has left its mark on the rest of the world.
Congratulations to Jess Hatzis and Bree Johnson.
Food For Thought Network raises awareness and takes action towards promoting women's development.
The Greek Australian tennis star is back after upstaging second seed Novak Djokovic.
According to Business Insider, the former temple defines building design, continues to be a source of inspiration for architects, and is a stunning piece of architectural art.
Two Greek entrepreneurs are behind OLEO, designed to be taken as a nutritional supplement for its health benefits.
'Australian workers, particularly young Australians, must be given priority,' says Immigration Minister.
Technology can play a big role in providing children with a linguistic experience in line with the modern urban world in Greek, and help supplement their vocabulary.
This month Toli Koutsimanis will come up against Victorian Heavyweight champion, Mini Nachar in the fight to continue his undefeated professional record.
The feature explores the creative renaissance Greece is currently experiencing, as the number of holidaymakers from the UK skyrockets.
A feast of Hellenic flavours on Australian television.
Con Kalamaras and his band successfully revived the music of one of Greece's great troubadours.
My Big Fat Greek Week
Mary Raphael, Stavros Messinis, Thalia Andrews, and Frixos Ioannides present their latest joint exhibition in Melbourne.
Clothing label The Kooples is presenting a free photography exhibition in Melbourne this month as part of VAMFF.
The store will be moving to the Mornington Peninsula with easy access to the best local produce, local suppliers, and fresh air.