Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
Speeding Porsche kills family parked at emergency station
An unbelievable tragedy was caught on camera around 4pm (local time) yesterday on the 83 kilometre of the Athens-Lamia National highway.
A rental Porsche, speeding at over 200km/hr is seen crashing onto a parked Honda Civic near Ipato in Thiva, leading to the death of four individuals.
The Civic driver, a 41-year-old man had legally stopped the car at a parking spot next to the emergency lane to visit the station bathroom. In the car were waiting his 33-year-old wife and three-year-old son.
The tragic father saw the Porsche crashing into his car from the toilet and run outside screaming only to find his family dead and in flames. He tried but was unable to help them and despite being in shock he called the police and fire brigade. He can been seen rushing out of the toilet in the security camera video below (graphic content).
The Porsche driver died in the explosion while his 24-year-old friend and co-passenger who was not wearing a seat belt was ejected several metres away from the car crash through the window.
“It’s horrific. The family was waiting in the parking. They weren’t even on the emergency lane,” a driver passing through told the local news agency, LamiaReport.
The Porsche was driven by George Vakakis, son of Greece’s biggest toy industry tycoon Apostolos Vakakis. The Vakakis family, who own JUMBO, have been the only business increasing their profit steadily during the financial crisis, thanks to Apostolos Vakakis’ dedication and pioneering ideas supporting Greek manufacturers.
- Register Now
- Call to boycott film denying Greek, Assyrian and Armenian genocide
- Golden Dawn are Nazis, plain and simple
- Developer Con Nikiforides dies age 56
- Greek Jewish community hails citizenship decision
- Healthy Greek olive oil bottled and consumed like medicine
- Dijsselbloem: Southern Europe spent EU money on "drinks and women"
- New animation by Pixar veteran based on Greek myths
- WHO: Greece far exceeds normal rate of C-section births
- 'I wanted to make a film worthy of Greek pride' [video]
- 'We want our children to dream big'
- Four dead in tragic accident on Greek highway
- Turkey threatens Greece and Cyprus
- Parthenon voted the most beautiful building in the world
- RIP George Hatzipanagiotis
- World's most beautiful street located in Greece
- Healthy and delicious meals to carry us through Greek Orthodox Lent
- Brother of alleged Bourke Street murderer, Angelo Gargasoulas jailed for two months
- Greece looks to become top tourism destination in the world
- The best IGA in the world belongs to a Greek migrant from Ikaria
- Nine Evzones are coming to Australia
Attorney Christos Iliopoulos on how to ensure your will is valid in Greece.
Australia will play Iraq on Thursday evening in the first of the World Cup Qualifiers.
Director Stathis Grapsas' once again gives a powerful voice to marginalised groups in society who are often left unheard.
Con Kalamaras and his band successfully revived the music of one of Greece's great troubadours.
If we need to save the language, we might want to reconsider our educational strategy, and our connection with it.
It's the first time since season 2013 that South has lost three on the trot. Will they come through with a win this weekend?
The Greek restaurant on Renmark Avenue will be a chance to showcase the brand's history.
The abundance of meat-free recipes in the Mediterranean culture ensures Lent feels like a walk in the park. Try these tasty Greek recipes from foodies around the world.
Congratulations to Jess Hatzis and Bree Johnson.
A feast of Hellenic flavours on Australian television.
The seventeen-year-old forward is hoping to get a few more minutes with the seniors.
The Greece-based company was awarded the Top Rated Retail Interiors Project 2016 award.
Having visited and written about Greek communities in various parts of the world, Alexander Billinis turns his attention back home, to his own Greek community.
Back by popular demand, the performance weaves music, song, documentary footage and narrative to recreate the zeitgeist of the Greek island of Hydra in the 1960s.
Senator Nick Xenophon is shaking up South Australian politics with the launch of new party SA Best and candidates who have real-life skills and experience.
The virus was the first case reported in Europe.
The 53-year-old singer found dead in his home on Christmas Day passed away from a heart condition.
Before the launch of her debut album with her jazz trio, the brilliant young pianist describes how her Greek background helped her develop a passion for music.