Parents had to carry their disabled 12-year-old son up to Acropolis because the lift has been out of order for months.
Public outrage following this incident has caused the Ministry of Culture to ask for the resignations of the director of the Antiquities Ephorate of the City of Athens and the head of the Department of Archaeological Works and Studies.
The parents of the child thanked people who helped them lift their wheelchair-bound child after they had travelled from northern Greece to visit the Parthenon.
READ MORE: Lightning strikes Acropolis, four injured
The Ministry of Culture issued a statement on Monday that said the repair of the lift had been considered a priority and there are also other works to help improve the operation and services of the site. The statement also said that some involvement in the management of the site have also been asked to submit their resignation.