Pork tenderloin is a showstopper on the holiday table. Enjoy this with one of the wonderful full-bodied Greek reds from Monemvassia.
6 tbsp Vrisi 36 extra virgin Greek olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 large green bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup white wine
1 cup crumbled Greek feta
1 cup combined chopped fresh oregano rosemary and thyme
3-5 tbsp plain dried breadcrumbs
1 egg white, slightly beaten
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbsp Greek mustard with sun-dried tomatoes or other Greek mustard
750 g pork tenderloin (you will need 2)
2-3 tbsp each of dried Greek oregano and dried ground rosemary
1. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large, non-stick pan and sauté the onion and peppers until soft. Stir in the garlic. Pour in the wine and when it steams off, remove the mixture from the heat. Cool slightly and mix in the crumbled feta, herbs, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Trim any fat from the pork loin. Using a sharp knife make a lengthwise cut down the centre of each loin, cutting to, but not through, the other side. Spread both pieces of meat flat.
3. Place the first piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to about a 33 x 20 cm rectangle. Repeat with the second tenderloin.
4. Overlap and pound the pieces to make a single rectangle. Fold in the narrow ends as necessary to make an even rectangle.
5. Spread the mustard evenly over tenderloin. Spoon the pepper-feta mixture evenly over pork. Roll tenderloin up jelly-roll style, beginning at narrow end. Tie meat with string, first at centre, then at 2.5 cm intervals. Place meat on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush the remaining olive oil over the meat. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and rub with dried oregano and rosemary.
6. Roast, uncovered, in a 180°C oven for 50-60 minutes or until meat is tender and slightly pink (71°C) and juices run clear. Transfer to a warm platter. Remove strings; keep warm until serving.
7. To serve, cut tenderloin into 2.5 cm slices. Serve with Diane’s Greek roasted potatoes.
For Diane’s roast potato recipe and more, visit https://www.dianekochilas.com/