Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison has offered support for a potential lockdown of Melbourne hotspots where coronavirus outbreaks have been noted, and he has also offered Commonwealth resources to secure the 10 vulnerable areas.
“If indeed a full local lockdown is required in those hot spots, then that’s the decision the premier will take,” Mr Morrison said on Tuesday.
“And they’ll take that decision with the full support and backing through resources from the Commonwealth government, as well as from other states and territories where that is necessary.”
The outbreaks in Melbourne have resulted in a delay in the opening of borders with other states, however NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is not considering the closure of borders with Victoria though Victorians are not welcome to attend events in NSW. In South Australia, borders will not open on 20 July as had been planned.
Queensland will open the state on 10 July to all Australians, except Victorians. Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said anyone entering the state will need to declare whether they have been in Victoria. There will be fines of $4000 for those caught lying.
Melburnians in the hot spots have been urged by the government to stay at home after the city recorded 75 new cases on Monday.
The Australian Defence Force has been deployed for a testing blitz in the hot spot suburbs.