Despite the massive evaporation of wealth in 2008 – 2009 due to the global financial crisis, the biggest since the Great Depression, six Greek Australians made the 200 rich list in BRW.
Those that made the BRW 200 list are:
- Mining entrepreneur, Kerry Harmanis, whose personal fortune is valued at $500 million;
- Owner of the National Leisure and Gaming Hotel Group, Theo Karydis, whose personal fortune is valued at $356 million;
- Technology entrepreneur, George Koukis, whose personal fortune is valued at $270 million;
- Shopping centre mogul Con Makris and his eldest son Ross, whose combined personal fortune is valued at $1.07 billion;
- Pearliers, the Paspaley family, whose personal fortune is valued at $536 million;
- The property developer, Harry Stamoulis and his family whose personal fortune is valued at $389 million.
Three other Greek Australians just missed out:
- Con Constantine, the owner of
the Newcastle Jets;
- Queensland developers, the Raptis Family, and,
fishing magnates, the Kailis family.
Their personal fortunes were valued at between
$130 million to $142 million, which was not enough to earn them a spot on the BRW Rich List.
(Source: BRW Rich 200)