1 – 1 1/2 kgs boneless beef cube, for stew (preferably chuck)
1 onion, chopped
3 – 5 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
3 – 4 whole cloves
3 – 4 dashes cinnamon
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Brown the beef cubes on all sides and season with salt.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and parsley to the beef and sauté until onions turn translucent.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they release some juice for a minute or two.
4. Add the cloves and cinnamon and stir.
5. Add the two cans of tomato sauce.
6. Using one of the emptied cans, add two can-fulls of water.
7. Taste and season if necessary.
8. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and cover. Let it simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.
* Serve with thin spaghetti, rice, kritharaki or egg noodles and top with grated cheese. You can just serve with crunchy bread.
* This recipe can be replaced with chicken.
One of the most versatile of Greek dishes, kreas kokkinisto can be served with pasta, rice, pilaf, vegetables or even just with crunchy continental bread