Melbourne Victory cruised into the FFA cup Round of 16, barely getting out of second gear in its 6-0 away win over NSW State League outfit Balmain Tigers at Leichardt Oval on Tuesday evening.

Before a healthy crowd of 5,000, the A-League premiers dominated possession against the home team, launching frequent attacks from both flanks. Wide forwards Kosta Barbarouses and Connor Pain fed central striker Berisha Besart with a number of opportunities in the first half.

But it was a 1-2 combination with central midfielder Jesse Makarounas that gave Besart the opening goal of the game in the 10th minute. Berisha went close to doubling his tally on several occasions in the opening half before Connor Pain became the second of Victory’s six goal-scorers on the night, when he tapped home a pin point cross from full back Jason Geria just before the break.

Barbarouses, Daniel Georgievski and both subs George Howard and Fahid Ben Khalfallah each found the net in the second half as Victory continued to dominate with 70 per cent of possession and 19 shots at goal to the Tigers lone shot.

After the match, Victory coach Kevin Muscat speaking on Nine Sports commented: “We are taking the cup competition very seriously and it was good to get a result like that. This match was the start of building and improving upon what we have already created and the standard has been set fairly high tonight.”

In contrast to Victory’s coasting win, Melbourne City were pushed all the way by leading Northern NSW team Edgeworth FC, only managing to score a winner deep in injury time in the second half of their 2-1 come-from-behind win at Magic Park.

Edgeworth took the game to its more illustrious A-League opponent, winning a 26th minute penalty which Bren Hammel converted. It was left to City dead ball specialist Aaron Mooy to spare its blushes by expertly finding the net with two free kicks, the first in the 35th minute. Edgeworth’s determined defence kept City at bay in the second half almost holding out until extra time, only for Mooys to once again find the back of the net with a free kick.

Melbourne City coach John Van’t Schip speaking on Nine sports, commented after the game: “We didn’t finish the openings that we had and it was a nervous game for us. This was always going to be a difficult match for us. The main thing was going through which is what we have done, so now it is a case of looking to get more players fit and available for next round.”

Like City, Sydney Olympic had to wait for a late winner in its Cup tie against ACT outfit Gungahlin United, on a chilly Tuesday evening at Gunghalin Enclosed Oval in Canberra.

A moment of individual skill from Olympic sub Michael Gaitatzis decided the tie 1-0 for Olympic in the 82nd minute. After receiving the ball on the right flank, Gaitatzis made space for himself with a step over before firing a left foot shot into the net from the edge of the box.

Speaking on Fox Sport after the match, Olympic coach Grant Lee commented: “Very happy with it. It is very difficult to play these types of games. It is cup football. A very wet and heavy pitch and even with screw-in [boots], you could see the boys slipping around … In the second half we probably dominated more and were a little more controlled in how we went about things. Gungahlin put up a very good fight.”

Sources: Fox Sport/Nine News

Wednesday 5 August

Venue: Elite Systems Football Centre, Brisbane
Croydon Kings 1
Lions FC 2
Klimek (66′) Khan (14), Bonotto (47′)

Venue: Darwin Football Stadium
Darwin Olympic 1
Adelaide United 6
Tsounias (19′) Carrusca (18′), Jeggo (38′, 39′), Cirio (77′), Babalj (78′), Pablo Sanchez (79′)

Venue: Rockdale Ilinden Sports Centre
Rockdale City Suns 3
Perth SC 1
Alameddine (21′), Macallister (44′) Keltie (69′) Jesic (57′)

Venue: NIB Stadium
Sorrento FC 0
Sydney FC 2
Smeltz (3′), Burgess (75′)

The four remaining Round of 32 matches will be played this Tuesday 11 August
Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix
Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory
Oakleigh Cannons v FNQ FC Heat
Western Sydney Wanderers v Brisbane Roar FC