Travellers at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport, one of Europe’s busiest airports, have borne witness to a suicide gun and bomb attack leaving at least 36 people dead and 147 injured.

According to reports, three attackers sprayed the airport terminal with gunfire before a series of explosions took place.

The terrorists then proceeded to blow themselves up after police started firing at them, say officials.

Turkish rescue services members help a wounded person outside Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, Tuesday, June 28, 2016. PHOTO: AAP VIA AP VIA IHA/ ISMAIL COSKUN

Two South African tourists, Paul and Susie Roos who were due to fly home, describe the horrific scene in great detail.

“He was just firing at anyone coming in front of him. He was wearing all black. His face was not masked. I was 50 metres away from him,” Roos, 77 told Reuters.

“We ducked behind a counter but I stood up and watched him. Two explosions went off shortly after one another. By that time he had stopped shooting.

“He turned around and started coming towards us. He was holding his gun inside his jacket. He looked around anxiously to see if anyone was going to stop him and then went down the escalator … We heard some more gunfire and then another explosion, and then it was over.”

Passengers embrace each other as they wait outside Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, early Wednesday, June 29, 2016 following their evacuation after a blast.  PHOTO: AAP VIA AP/ EMRAH GUREL

So far the majority of those killed in the attack have been identified as Turkish nationals, five of which were police officers, a Turkish official told Reuters.

While no group is yet to claim responsibility for the attack, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has said that early signs are pointing towards the Islamic State (IS) group.

The BBC’s Turkish correspondent, Mark Lowen who reported the incident from a plane stuck on the airport’s tarmac, said it looked like a major coordinated attack and that Ataturk airport had long been suspected a vulnerable target.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has condemned the attack, and called on the international community to join Turkey in their stand against terrorism.

“Turkey has the power, determination and capacity to continue the fight against terrorism until the end,” read his statement.

He also took the opportunity to point out that the attack was coordinated to take place during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, saying that it “shows that terrorism strikes with no regard to faith and values.”

Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has also condemned the attack on behalf of the Australian Government.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the people of Turkey,” she said, adding that the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is urgently seeking to determine whether any Australians have been affected.

“We continue to advise Australian travellers to reconsider their need to travel to Istanbul. Australians in Istanbul should remain attentive to their surroundings and follow the instructions of local authorities.”

Security and rescue personnel gather outside Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, early Wednesday, June 28, 2016. PHOTO: AAP VIA AP/ EMRAH GUREL

After the attack, all flights in and out of Ataturk Airport were suspended, while taxis were used to rush casualties to hospital, reports the BBC.

If you have any concerns for the welfare of family and friends in the region, you should attempt to contact them directly. If you are unable to do so and hold concerns for their welfare, call the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305 if calling from overseas.