Greece has been sitting on several projects destined to improve infrastructure and quality of life for its citizens for years, whether it be from lack of organisation of previous governments or the financial crisis, but 2019 is definitely looking promising.
According to the latest report by the portal ypodomes.com, more than 50 major projects are about to be completed in the coming months, most of which promise to significantly upgrade Greek people’s everyday lives.
- AEK fans have much more to celebrate this year with the construction of the modern football stadium ‘Aghia Sofia’ in Nea Filadelfia, reaching its final stages.
- The first half of Athens Metro Line 3 extension from Aghia Marina to Nikea will be reinforced with three much awaited new stations: Aghia Varvara, Korydallos and Nikea.
- The new section of a major Athenian traffic artery, the relocated Poseidonos Avenue will be opened for the public following infrastructure works due to the Faliro Bay restorations
- In Athens, the expansion of the Tramway to Piraeus Port – pending as an idea from 2004 -will be operational towards the end of the summer
- The Tithorea-Domokos railway section is expected to be concluded in the next few days connecting construction works on the Athens-Thessaloniki route
- A new double-track railway line is to operate between Kiato and Eghio, offering a 71 km well-lit vein to the Northern Greece network along with the single-track electrified line from Polykastro to Idomeni
- Thessaloniki will unveil the city’s Western Ring Road section
- The extension of Thessaloniki Airport’s runway 10-28 is set to be completed within the year
- Works in Kavala, Zakynthos and Chania airports are also scheduled to be finalised
- Hospitals of Chalkida, Lefkada and Veria are about to be delivered
- Completion of facilities at the Heraklion Cultural Center, the Kozani University Campus, the Athens National Gallery and Asteras Vouliagmenis are moving forward thanks to a new investment cycle via the Smart Park
- In Crete the operation of the road section between Aghia Varvara and Apomarma is expected to be released
- Larissa’s Ring Road will be completed while the first 15 km of Amvrakia Motorway are also set to open soon
- The Rododafni-Psathopyrgos railway section is being completed
- The Agrinio-Aghios Vlassis (Western Greece), Kalloni-Sigri (Lesvos island), Driopi-Galatas and Ardanio-Mandra (Evros-Northern Greece) road works are near-finished and should be running by the end of spring
- Waste Treatment Plants in Epirus, Serres and Viotia’s units are expected to operate
- Pier III construction works in Piraeus Port as well as works in the ports of Patra, Igoumenitsa, Sigri and Kavala are almost done
- Athens International Airport ‘El. Venizelos’ is scheduled to receive the first “small-scale extension” of the Terminal
- The operation of Peania Liquid Waste Treatment Unit begins in a few weeks
- The completion of water supply works in Paxi Islands, Karditsa town in Thessaly, the Asopos Dam and the submerged Water Pipeline that will connect Aigina island with the capital’s water supply network are soon to solve the residents’ water-related problems in the coming days
- The second central sewage pipeline in Thessaloniki is complete and almost operational
- Cold Florina will receive a district heating system
2019, is without a doubt a very exciting year with much pressure being lifted off Greece’s shoulders.