Distressing COVID-19 figures climbed to 145 new cases in NSW on Monday, with 51 of the cases being in the community while infectious and another 25 in the community for part of their infectious period while another 11 cases are still being investigated.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says a decision will be made on whether to extend the Greater Sydney lockdown “in the next few days”, and she also issued a new appeal for people not to mix with other households.
“Can I stress again, it is really important for people not to leave home unless they absolutely have to?
“And, in particular, do not mingle.”
She said financial support would continue if necessary.
“We won’t allow any section of the community to feel either left behind or feel that they can’t cope with the financial stress they are experiencing,” she said.”
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant called for people to get vaccinated.
“It is actually quite distressing, when I review the numbers, to see how few over even 60-year-olds and over 70-year-olds we have managed to reach,” she said, adding that health authorities would announce the number of walk-in vaccination hubs offering the AstraZeneca jab on Tuesday.
Dr Chant fell short of revealing the locations of the new hubs for fear that they would be swamped “just as they’re setting up”.
“What are the most vulnerable communities, which groups in the communities don’t have access to the vaccine and how can we make it easier to get vaccinated?”
On a more positive note, Ms Berejiklian said there had been an improvement in case numbers in the Fairfield local government area with a reduction in cases.
The areas now at greater risk are in the Canterbury-Bankstown regions, where residents have been urged to abide by restrictions.
There were fragments of the virus detected in the sewage in the Moss Vale area , however no further cases have been detected in the Central West of NSW.
Ms Berejiklian hinted that the lockdown in Orange, Blayney and Cabonne may be ended on Tuesday midnight as planned.
“It is looking positive,” she said.
Overnight, 200 infringement notices had been issued by NSW Police, and more than 100 of them were linked to Saturday’s protest rally.
NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there was information circulating on the internet that another protest was being planned of next weekend similar to last Saturday’s ‘Freedom Rally’.
Mr Fuller encouraged the community to continue dobbing in people they recognised from the protests, and said that the police had received 10,000 Crime Stoppers reports since Saturday. He said this was “an amazing outcry by the community, not just in terms of their disgust at the protest but the way that the police, the mounted unit in particular, were treated during that”.
“You will be arrested. The community has spoken about that behaviour, the Premier has spoken about that behaviour and it won’t be tolerated,” he said.