The Greek Super League has finally made it back onto the soccer pitches of Greece, and Greek soccer fans in Australia were once again setting their alarms nice and early to catch the new 2021/22 season.

It was quite the exciting start for the League, as current Greek Cup champion PAOK was taken down in a stunning upset by PAS Giannina. Panathinaikos and AEK also had an impressive start with huge game leads.

Panathinaikos and Apollon Smyrni came together for the second match of the new season on Saturday night, at Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium.

The Greens wiped out its visitors 4-0, thanks to Mauricio and Carlitos scoring at 30 minutes and one minute into first half overtime respectively. Carlitos came back to add more insult to injury in the second half, scoring again at 73 minutes and then assisted midfielder Sotiris Alexandropoulos who capped off the match with the team’s fourth goal just ten minutes later.

Panathinaikos’ win came after a slow start for Panetolikos and Asteras Tripolis which drew 0-0 in their opening games.

READ MORE: Aris will kick off the Greek Super League with a six point deduction due to forgery

Sunday saw a mellow start for champion Olympiacos, which hosted Atromitos at Karaiskakis Stadium. The teams closed the 90 minutes of play with a goalless draw, despite Olympiacos having ample opportunities at a goal.

In a more shocking match, PAOK lost 1-0 to PAS Giannina at the Toumba Stadium. While it was a fairly quiet first half, both teams ramped up their game in the second half, but it was a goal in the 87th minute of the match by striker Pedro Conde that saw PAOK keeper Zivko Zivkovic fumble and concede the point.

AEK’s three new signings showed what they were really made of this weekend too, as Damien Le Tallec, Nordin Amrabat and Steven Zuber each scored a goal, giving the team its emphatic 3-0 win over Ionikos.

Volos also had a strong start to the season, beating Lamia 2-1 on home soil. Both goals bookended the first half with Julián Bartolo scoring the first in the eighth minute, while Tom van Weert scored again for the team in three minutes before the halftime whistle. Lamia could only soften the blow slightly, as Tyronne del Pino scored early in the second half for Lamia.

Capping off matchday one of the Super League was Aris and OFI, which ended on another goalless draw.