According to government sources Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis is due to make a statement on the phone-tapping scandal on Monday.
According to a reports by Skai Mitsotakis will not wait for Parliament to resume after the summer recess to address the latest developments.
The prime minister wants to get ahead of the phone tapping scandal.
The wiretapping case has grabbed headlines over the last week and has led to the resignations last Friday of Grigoris Dimitriadis as the prime minister’s secretary-general, and Panagiotis Kontoleon, as the chief of the National Intelligence Service (EYP).
Kontoleon in his letter of resignation to the prime minister cited “oversights in the process of statutory inspections.”
He had submitted his resignation “following mistaken actions found during lawful wiretapping procedures,” the prime minister’s office said in a statement.
All this follows the events of last week when the leader of the socialist opposition PASOK party, Nikos Androulakis, lodged a complaint with top court prosecutors over an attempted bugging of his mobile phone with Predator spyware.
The initial investigation revealed that EYP had submitted an application to lift the secrecy on Androulakis’ mobile phone. In other words, EYP itself was monitoring the calls of the PASOK leader using the “legal wiretapping” process.
On Friday government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou said the government is positive about both the formation of a committee of inquiry on the wiretapping issue and the reconvening of the Parliament’s Institutions and Transparency Committee.