Neither AEK nor PAOK was able to claim victory in a tense battle, with the Thessaloniki giants launching a spirited comeback to protect their place in top spot.

The two Doubled-headed eagles of Greek football went to war at “Agia Sophia” Stadium on Monday morning (AEST) in what was a pivotal chance for either side to gain a crucial advantage in the championship race.

Enosi struck first on the half hour mark, thanks to a volleyed finish from midfielder Mijat Gacinovic, before an early second half goal by winger Nordin Amrabat (49′) put the hosts in a fantastic position to earn maximum points.

PAOK left back Baba Rahman stepped up in the 62nd minute with a strike to bring life into the game for the visitors before midfielder Magomed Ozdoev made it 2-2 with a finish into the goal while on the ground (89′).

Panathinaikos was the biggest beneficiary of this result as they recorded a massive 0-2 victory over Aris at “Kleanthis Vikelidis” Stadium to go two within two points of top spot.

The Greens had to battle hard to not fall behind in the clash as the Thessaloniki hosts did a good job of creating opportunities without making their pressure count.

The “Trifylli” eventually broke the deadlock in the 62nd minute when winger Bernard intercepted the ball and launched an immediate counter-attack, with the Brazilian passing to striker Andreaz Sporar as the Slovenian expertly finished the ball into the bottom right corner.

Panathinaikos then guaranteed the points in injury time when midfielder Filip Djuricic had a shot from inside the box saved by goalkeeper Julian Cuesta, with the subsequent rebound deflecting off centre half Jakub Brabec and going into his own net (90+2′).

The result proved to be pivotal for the Greens as they went within two points of first place, putting them well and truly in the mix for the premiership once again.

Olympiacos demolished Lamia 1-5 at “Athanasios Diakos” ground to make it two straight wins in a row.

The Piraeus giants pulled ahead in the 22nd minute through striker Stefan Jovetic before his fellow forward Ayoub El Kaabi doubled their lead with a penalty (26′).

An own goal from centre back Kyriakos Papadopoulos (45+1′) gave the “red-whites” a three-nil advantage going into the break ahead, with fellow defender Georgios Kornezos also scoring an own goal to give Olympiacos their fourth (81′).

Marksman Youssef El Arabi bagged the travellers one final goal in the 85th minute as Lamia winger Toshio Lake scored a late consolation for the hosts (88′).

Kifisia earned a vital 1-2 away success over Asteras Tripolis in the third round of the play-outs on Sunday morning (AEST) to climb out of the relegation zone.

The Arcadians went ahead three minutes into the clash through striker Juan Bautista Miritello.

The visitors managed to make it level over an hour later via marksman Ognjen Ozegovic (66′), with the Serbian giving his club the advantage four minutes after from the penalty spot (70′).

Kifisia finished the contest with only ten players after midfielder Panagiotis Pritsas was sent off for a second yellow (90+2′), though it had no impact on the result as they held on for the three points.

The result puts them one point clear of Panetolikos, who themselves fell victim to a 0-1 home defeat at the hands of Volos.

The Magnesia side found what proved to be the winning goal in the 29th minute via a long-range strike from winger Jasin Assehnoun.

Both sides concluded the match a man down with Volos defender Nikolai Alho receiving a straight red (89′) and Panetolikos centre half Sebastian Mladen suffering a late second booking (90+6′).

Giannina now looks destined for the drop after being soundly beaten 4-0 away against OFI.

The Cretans opened the scoring in the 10th minute through winger Adrien Riera (10′).

The Epirutans had their hopes of getting back into the game dashed soon after when centre back Rodrigo Erramuspe suffered a straight red (26′).

OFI wrapped up the first half with another goal, courtesy of winger Makana Baku (45+4′), and made it three in the 58th minute via striker Aaron Leya Iseka (58′).

Riera scored again late to seal his brace (86′), the result strongly boosting OFI’s chances of avoiding relegation while simultaneously all but condemning Giannina to the second division next season.

Atromitos rescued a point at the death to draw 1-1 with Panserraikos at home, extending their lead above the other play-outs clubs in the process.

The Serres side struck first through a free kick header by midfielder Kosta Aleksic (18′), a goal which looked to be enough to earn the win.

The Peristeriotes, in desperate search for an equaliser, finally made it level in the last minute of the game when substitute forward Georgios Tzovaras met the ball inside the box following a free kick and guided it into the back of the net (90+4′).

The match has resulted in Atromitos going two points clear ahead of their next closest rivals on the ladder, Asteras Tripolis.

Greek Super League Ladder

Championship Group

1-PAOK: 67

2-AEK: 66

3-Panathinaikos: 65

4-Olympiacos: 63

5-Aris: 48

6-Lamia: 34

Relegation Group

1-Atromitos: 33

2-Asteras Tripolis: 31

3-Panserraikos: 31

4-OFI: 30

5-Volos: 28

6-Kifisia: 25

7-Panetolikos: 24

8-Giannina: 19