You can buy the filo ready made, however it is a lot healthier and fun to try and make it from scratch, even if it is somewhat time-consuming.
1kg zucchini, ends trimmed without the ends
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for the mix
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup finely chopped dill
½ cup chopped fresh mint, or a combination of mint and parsley
1 cup crumbled feta or any
3 eggs, beatenPinch of parsley, oregano and basil
Freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
*Oil ton brush the filo
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour (more as needed)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
For the pastry:
1. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water, add the sugar, and allow to sit until the mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Beat in the egg and the olive oil, combining the flours and salt, stirring into the yeast mixture.
3. Work the dough until it comes together in a coherent mass, adding flour as necessary.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently for a few minutes, adding flour as necessary, just until the dough is smooth and shaped into a ball.
5. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rise in a draft-free spot until doubled in size, about one hour.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, gently knead a couple of times, and cut into two equal pieces.
7. Shape each piece into a ball without kneading it and roll out into thin rounds to use according to the recipe.
For the pie:
1. Heat the oven to 180C.
2. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
3. Add the zucchini and onion and cook from 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in parsley flakes, salt, pepper, garlic, basil and oregano.
5. In large bowl, mix the eggs, cheese and the cooked vegetable mixture, stirring gently until the ingredients are mixed.
6. Add the piece/s of filo, lightly brushing with oil and turning the dish after each addition so that the edges drape evenly over the pan.
7. Place the filling on the filo and then cover it up with another filo sheet or sheets and oil again.
8. Press the edges of the top and bottom layers of dough together.
9. Make a few slashes in the top crust so that steam can escape as the pie bakes.
10. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool 15 to 30 minutes before you serve it.