6 egg yolks
60g vegetable oil
Zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 egg whites
75g sugar (granulated)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups strawberries, cut in slices (reserve some for decoration on top)
500ml double cream
2tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup limoncello liqueur
1. Preheat oven on 175°C. Butter the bottoms and sides of two 20cm round cake tins and line with parchment paper.
2. Combine all the wet ingredients in a bowl, adding sugar and lemon zest.
3. Sift flour and baking powder together and combine with the liquid mix until smooth.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add lemon juice and sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold 1/4 of the meringue to the batter and gently mix with a rubber spatula. Repeat with another 1/4 of the meringue again and then fold the batter into the rest of the meringue.
6. Divide the batter between the prepared cake tins and bake on 175°C for about 25 minutes.
1. Place a mixing bowl and whisk in freezer for 10 minutes.
2. Whip the cream and icing sugar on medium high speed until firm peaks form.
3. Add vanilla and mix on low speed until combined.
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water over medium heat without stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
2. When mixture reaches boiling point, cook for an additional 3 minutes, and then add limoncello and let cool.
Assembling the cake:
1. Place one disk of cake on a cake board or plate.
2. Brush the cake with cooled syrup.
3. Using a small spatula cover the top of the cake with some of the whipped cream. Place the sliced strawberries on top, covering the cream.
4. Add another thin layer of cream to cover the strawberries.
5. Place the second layer of cake on top, brush with the rest of the syrup and cover the cake with the remaining whipped cream.
6. Place the reserved strawberries on top as desired.