500ml ready-made chilled custard (look for one with real vanilla)
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
400g shop-bought chocolate brownies
3 tbsp coffee
100ml Irish cream liqueur, plus 1 tbsp extra for soaking the brownies
140g bag Maltesers
500ml double cream
25g icing sugar
1. Put the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has completely melted into the custard. Remove from heat and cover the surface with cling film to stop the custard forming a skin, then cool.
2. Sit the brownies in a trifle bowl and mix the coffee and 1 tbsp of the Irish cream liqueur. Drizzle all over the brownies.
3. Use a rolling pin or saucepan to gently crush the bag of Maltesers in their bag, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies.
4. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard all over the top of the trifle, then cover and chill.
5. Make the final layer by combining the cream and remaining Irish cream liqueur in a bowl. Sift the icing sugar into the cream then whip until soft peaks form.
6. Cover and chill. When you’re ready to serve, give the cream a quick stir and spoon on top the chocolate custard layer. Decorate with the remaining crushed Maltesers.