In spirit of April Fools we have put together some of the funniest Greek saying that do not make much sense when directly translated into English.
1. Ta matia sou 14! – “Your eyes 14”
What it really means: Keep your eyes open and be aware.
2. Akou na deis – “Hear to look”
What it really means: Pay close attention!
3. Tha fas xilo – “You will eat wood!”
What it really means: Basically a threat that you are going to get a beating, eek!
4. Eisai touvlo – “You’re a brick”
What it really means: You are not very smart/a bit thick.
5. Siga ta lahana – “Slowly the cabbage”
What it really means: When someone is saying something that has little value or is as dull as a cabbage.
6. Katse sta auga sou – “Sit on your eggs”
What it really means: Relax! Stay where you are! Do not run off and do things in haste!
7. Petachtike san tin pourdi – “They popped out like a fart”
What it really means: They got involved when they should not have.
8. Tha sou alaxo ta fota – “I will change your lights”
What it really means: I will tire you out.
9. Efaga porta – “I ate door”
What it really means: I got rejected (maybe from a job or by a date).
10. To kako sou to kairo – “Your bad weather”
What it really means: You are saying silly things.