I always remember visiting my yiayia Eleni’s house in my childhood and she would always have a selection of traditional Greek cakes which she would have made the night before or that morning. Her famous samali cake was always a family favourite and she would make it for every special occasion. It is a quick and easy recipe guaranteed to make your house smelling like a Greek bakery.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (250ml) self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups semolina
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon honey
Blanched whole almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Heat oil and stir in semolina at the same time, on low – medium heat, until semolina is wet. (Put to the side and let cool)
3. Beat eggs, 1 cup sugar, and zest of 1 lemon.
4. Fold in the flour + baking powder to mixture.
5. Add semolina/oil to mixture, and stir.
6. Oil baking pan.
7. Pour in mixture.
8. Place almonds on top of mixture (in rows according to how many pieces you would like to cut).
9. Place in oven for 30-35mins.
10. SYRUP: 10mins before taking out of oven, heat 2 cups of water, add 2 cups of sugar, 1 lemon slice, and honey, and just bring to boil.
11. Remove from oven, cut into pieces and pour syrup on top.
12. Let it cool before removing from pan.